Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More on ethics...

Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Default RE: More on ethics...

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

.....the laws all read differently across state borders. First and foremost to me, the RIGHT thing to do is dispatch the animal if the animal has an obvious mortal wound. Ethics and Laws don't necessary walk hand in hand.
This is really the sad truth. If the laws read that you must treat a wounded animal ethically in or out of season , there's no question what we would do.
In most states you can't even shoot a deer hit by a car to put it out of it's misery. You are violating game laws if you do. It does not make sense.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

ORIGINAL: TJF

ORIGINAL: MdDave

here in maryland we have a 24 hour period to check our deer in... if i found it wounded an it was tryin to get up u cant jus let the animal suffer any more.. you wounded it u must finish it off... id kill it take it home an call it in as yesterdays kill...sounds to me like the the game warden told
AZBear to jus leave the animal to die..
If we find a wounded deer while hunting here ... the warden saysyou either walk away and let it die on it's ownor shot/tag it. To put it out of it's misery and not tag it means a fine and chance of hunting privilages taken away if you are caught. You shoot it , you better have a tag and tag it.

Tim

but as the question reads.... the person woulda shot it the day before... i feel it is your duty to shoot it the next day if u find it... if u were huntin the day before u musta had a tag to shoot at that deer so u should still have it the next morning.... i dont see how ANYONE could jus walk past a wounded deer an say welp im not wasting a tag on you lil fella guess you'll have to suffer!...i dont care if it the law or not. u jus dont walk past an animal thats wounded an not do anything about it rather u take it home or not!!!!!
I know what the question read. I just commented onwhat two different wardens told me when I asked the question previously when finding a wounded deer or wounding one onthe last day. I like knowing my legal options. Any time I run into a warden I ask questions or call them if I have questions. Then when I am put insuch situations, it is much easier making a call because I know where I stand in reguards to the law.

I never said what I would do. I will say ... I haveused a tag to end someone else's screw up when I have come across a wounded deer that was sure to die. I know what I will do ifI am faced with the othersituations when I don't have a tag or it is out of season.

Tim
Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: SuperRedHawk

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I would "dispatch" the animal and take it on home. The DNR would probably find some way to pin something on you ifyou decided to go ahead and try to check it in.

Being a nice and honest guy doesn't always pay off.

Whoa there ducky! Is there something you're not telling us about your turkey incident??
I was hoping everyone had forgotten that one!

I just wonder what would have happened if I had just let it go. Maybe the DNR would have thought the check station wrote the wrong date on the check-in tag.[&:]

Anyway, I wouldn't be a honest person about this circumstance. Finish off thejob and takethe deerhome. TheEnd.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

While these ethics questions are interesting and thought provoking I wonder sometimes what the poster is looking to discover.Are they trying to come to terms with what they would do in these circumstances,or are they looking for support of their own actions.These are hard questions in the sense that I don't think "most" people want to break a law,they are trying to do what to them is morally right.
Some have made it seem like violating a game law is different than violating any other law,why is that? If you break a law,you break a law.To place game laws above any other comes from some form of justification.The person I trust the most is the one that looks back at me in the mirror in the morning.When circumstances arise (situational ethics) I am going to do what I feel is right and will have no reservation about it.
I would like to think in the situation described by WH I could call a CO and have them have a rational response,like let's get this animal out of it's suffering and let's get the meat to a needy family or soup kitchen or whatever.Our local Co recently retired,he is a friend and a client and would still be the guy I would call for advice.Personally I would not call a CO who I didn't know because I don't have the faith that they would do the right thing.I will be darned if I was to be put through grief for attempting to do things correctly.
The bottom line for me is that the animal is not going to suffer any longer than it has to and it will not be wasted.To me that is the committment I made to the animal when I chose to shoot it.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 AM

yes. I would have no problem with that. It would be a good idea to get a warden involved, but I don't have the patience for that. Killing it is the right thing to do.