Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

asking permission

Old 05-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default asking permission

i am looking for a new piece of property to hunt and i found one i like buti dont know the people how would you go about asking them permission to hunt. also is it bad that i dont know the people and just show up asking for permission to hunt there land. and lastly how do you find where the landowner lives do you use plot maps to get the name or what? thanks any help is appreciated.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: asking permission

I was in the same position you are. I used plat books and mapquest aerial map to find properties and then just went and knocked on doors. I didn't know the people at all. I explained my story (going to college & away from home) and just asked if I could hunt on their property. I got 1 yes to 6 no. It can't hurt to knock on doors&whats the worst that can happen, they say no. Just move on to the next property.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree. i was going to ole miss and i am from texas. i just knocked on doors and to my suprise i ended up being able to hunt over 1000 acres.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Is ole miss even a school?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 PM

I've offered trading work on the property or offer some of the harvest. Maybe an icebreaker like venison sausage. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

thanks i think i am going to ask but i am really nervous i really dont want him to say no there is a butt load of deer and turkey there.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I read a book by Joe Brooks that outlines how to ask for permission. I've never been denied.

Also, though.....I'm 42 yrs old....and my father in law has lived in my area a LONG time. he knows everyone....and he's a good man. I drop his name a LOT.

1) Go on a sunny day.
2) Go in an American made vehicle.....preferrably a truck.
3) Go in a CLEAN cehicle.
4) Take your aerial map of their property with you.
5) If you wear a hat.....make it something "farm" related....and American made.
6) GO ALONE....or with a child.
7) Go to the side door. People WANTING somehting or selling something go to the front door.
8) Ask if anyone else is hunting the property. If they are....DON'T ASK for permission to hunt it. You wouldn't want someone butting in on your hunting areas.....and you also can't control how others hunt THIS area. You don't want that.
9) DO NOT wear camo
10) Get permission for bow, only, first.
11) OBEY THEIR WISHES! I've got a PRIME spot (my honey hole) that the owner won't let ANYONE else in there (not even with me). He doesn't let his family in there. It's also bow, only.....and I'm to tell NO ONE I'm hunting there (I know....but you don't know where it is!).

I know I left a couple out......but I can tell you that I hunt places that NO ONE EVER thought I could gain access to.....simply by following this to the letter.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I read a book by Joe Brooks that outlines how to ask for permission. I've never been denied.

Also, though.....I'm 42 yrs old....and my father in law has lived in my area a LONG time. he knows everyone....and he's a good man. I drop his name a LOT.

1) Go on a sunny day.
2) Go in an American made vehicle.....preferrably a truck.
3) Go in a CLEAN cehicle.
4) Take your aerial map of their property with you.
5) If you wear a hat.....make it something "farm" related....and American made.
6) GO ALONE....or with a child.
7) Go to the side door. People WANTING somehting or selling something go to the front door.
8) Ask if anyone else is hunting the property. If they are....DON'T ASK for permission to hunt it. You wouldn't want someone butting in on your hunting areas.....and you also can't control how others hunt THIS area. You don't want that.
9) DO NOT wear camo
10) Get permission for bow, only, first.
11) OBEY THEIR WISHES! I've got a PRIME spot (my honey hole) that the owner won't let ANYONE else in there (not even with me). He doesn't let his family in there. It's also bow, only.....and I'm to tell NO ONE I'm hunting there (I know....but you don't know where it is!).

I know I left a couple out......but I can tell you that I hunt places that NO ONE EVER thought I could gain access to.....simply by following this to the letter.

Good luck.
Sounds like good advice
Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read the same book and have followed Joe's tips for the most part. The only one I didn't follow was the American made car one, but the majority of the properties I'm asking on have Mercedes, Saabs, and BMWs in the driveway. Anyway, I have been very successful with his methods in a highly competitive environment. Many people already have hunters that hunt their property, but I was able to get access on a few good ones with his methods. It's very good advice.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:25 AM

If the suggestions already given do not work, considering the following....

If in doubt about a particular property, wait for the lady of the home to be home alone, get dressed up in your sunday bests, make and bring a bunt cake with, shower her with compliments and you just may get permission to hunt more than just the property?

Quick Reply: asking permission

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.