Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Garmin 120 Question

Old 05-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Garmin 120 Question

I didn't want to hijack the other post. How do you senda text message on the 120 model??? I thoughtthat capability was only avaible on the 530.

I have a set of the Garmin 120's(allows users to send and monitor each others position). They are extremely useful for:

mini-drives
keeping track ofyounger/older hunters
finding your way to stands/truck

But I didn't know they could send text msgs.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Garmin 120 Question

There are two models of the Garmin 120 out there, The earlier model runs software version 3.** and will not allow texting. The newer models run software version 5.** and has the texting capabilities. If you go to Garmin's web page they will allow you to do software upgrades, but you can not upgrade the earlier model to allow texting.
I have both models of the 120 and two 530's. the 530's are awesome radio/gps units and we use them in our group. One note about texting, You need a strong signal to send or receive a text message.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip Avalanche.

I talked to Garmin today. Turns out... all of the 110, 120 and 130 units are capable of accepting the upgrade. However, Garmin is only offering the upgrade to owners of untis with the 5.0 or greater software.

I am currently working my way 'up the flagpole' at Garmin in search of a wavier to this policy. If I am successful in obtaining, I will post the info.

Never hurts to ask.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not that Garmin doesn't want you to upgrade to have the V5.0 & greater capabilities(there's no such policy)... Instead, it's because your unit physically won't allow it due to hardware differences between the 2 versions of units. Garmin has had 2 different versions of the same model before, only because of hardware differences and Garmin willingness to give additional features to a unitthat wasn't originally designed to have them.

The only guarenteed option you have isexchanging your "Used" unit for a "New" unit. Even sending the unit in for repair wouldn't 100% gaurentee it being exchanged with a newer version either since all the units are overhauled and returned to service regardless of the version.

Even though I personally don't think any company should "have" to do that especially since it was never advertised as so.., you're right in that it never hurts to ask though... justthought I'd give my2 cents..
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM

Page 55 of the new instruction manual. I bought my units in...April 07 so evidently I got the new models. Just hold in the joystick until the shortcuts menu appears and select "send note" and go from there.