Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spurs...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spurs...

Hey guys just had a couple quick questions. I was gettin all my spurs prepared to put on a lanyard and was wondering if there was an easy way to get the scales/skin off of the spurs so its just the white bone and the spurs.

I did it just fine with one set that i just killed a few weeks ago, but some of the spurs i have had for years and havent done it so they are really hard and dry.

I was wanting to get them like the set on the left:

Also, have you guys ever seen something liek this? Its like the spur was gettin ready to shed or something...pretty wierd looking

Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spurs...

Mike - the spur is a scale, and it can come right off (like it did in the picture). I've had a few of them do that - a little super glue will fix it.

To get the scales off, I use a dremel. Iteats them right off. I use one of the little stone bits.

Tip: Fingernail polish works wonders - Coat your spurs with clear fingernail polish, and it fills in all the imperfections, and gives them a nice, glassy look.

I also coat the bony part with white fingernail polish, which makes the bone nice and shiny white. Looks really good.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks bud. Ill give that a shot. Doe the dremel damage the bone?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the dremel will eat the bone if you hold it on there, soyou have to be a littlecareful. You'll be able to easily see where the scales end, and the bone begins. It's not like as soon as you touch the bone, the whole thing dissintegrates.

It's super-easy, really. You can even use the dremel to smooth out the sawtooth marks on the ends. It does a really nice job.

Try the nail polish thing too. It really brings out the color.

It's really simple, but I'd still recommend that you start out on one of your smaller sets. By the time you're finished, you'll have the smell of turkey scale sawdustpermanently engrained in your sinuses.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

By the time you're finished, you'll have the smell of turkey scale sawdustpermanently engrained in your sinuses.
Can't wait for that part! Haha
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Mike, they have some nice wooden beads of different colors at walmart in the craft section and leather strips for lanyards also. the beads look good seperating the spurs when strung.