Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowbird misses, update see page 3. !!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowbird misses????

Misses Happen.. Unless your Rybo

Jeff, I've been taking my two boys this past week..on every turkey outting..just yesterday after work we located adandy gobbler tending to one loan hen. Here I am with my bow and a 3 and 6 year old slipping along behind me.. LOL needless to say we have alittle troublewithtoo much noise..last night we came very close though..got to the gobbler and his hen but they just hung out of range..I couldnt call him away from her.

I'dhope toget onechance to shoot...one with the bow with my boys in tow.. we have till the 25th..!

Dont let a miss beat you up too bad, come back to fight another day.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Fair question, Germ. Elaborate and I'll answer.
When you see let us say a deer and you are going to take it.

What is your thought process?

Do say I need to do A, B ,C ,D than shoot?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Germ I'll try to answer what I "think" you might be looking for.

When I first started hunting with a bow......I remember the clean miss I had on a doe in '05 that was the only shot I took, that season. I was thinking about EVERYTHING other than what I should have been.I honestly wasn't ready to take a shot at an animal with my mindset.

I remember my first shot at a deer in '06......a good buck....that I hit in the leg. I was thinking about the bowhunting contest....how much I wanted to contribute for my team.....what my friends would think about my harvest........ALL THAT while attemting the shot. I was a total wreck.

Idid a lot of soul-searching after that incident.....and I started thinking and relating it to what I DO know......golf. My pre-shot routine in golf is the same for every shot.....ESPECIALLY putts. It's simply trying to repeat what I KNOW I can do.....what I've practiced thousands of times.....and then I let go and just let it happen. You can't get caught up in the "outcome"....or care what the outcome might be. You just have to stay in the moment and trust you've done the right things to make it happen.

When I killed my first buck, last year (7-pointer)......I honestly didn't get shook until he'd gone out of sight (left with my arrow sticking out of his side). I was pretty calm. THAT shot was easier than the previous 2. my 2nd kill was easier than the 1st.....but I was shaken on that one while shooting........NOT after. 3rd was my best shot ever at an animal.......and I remember ONLY thinking about the exit hole on that one. 4th kill was a doe I shot at 7 or 8 yds......and I wanted that deer more than anything (for different reasons).I remember thinking that I wanted to kill her quickly......and I waited until she gave me the best angle and presentation. The shot was a no-brainer. 5th deer was my 8-pointer that I honestly thought was a 4x2, at first. No biggie......and I was totally at ease. He offered the shot.....I took it. No nerves and his reaction made me think I'd missed, low. I never got shook during that one......not even when I recovered the arrow over 2 hours later. I'd already moved my stand in anticipation of the evening hunt......and I went home to eat lunch and give him some time.

That all went out the window on my first turkey hunt of the year. Having never taken one with the bow.....I had the thoughts of what it was going to be like with one on my first hunt of the year. I already saw myself holding him and telling the story. I got ahead of myself.I know it.

I'm learning. I know I can't do that. I honestly don't think a big buck would rile me, now......at least not BEFORE the shot. The big Tom Rob and I had in......I was DEAD CALM. I think I will be, next time. I sure hope so.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys are different I think. First of all, you are almost definitely going to be shooting from a sitting position which I hate. I really don't practice this enough. Second, you are trying to make sure you clear the blind (I'm not good at this one [8D]), and then you are trying to focus on the bird, plus you are trying to avoid their darn near x-ray vision to avoid being detected on the draw. Deer often if the stand is in a good place will never spot you. Most of my stands I could do jumping jacks in and the deer would never know.

Anyhow, I have not missed one yet but I got realy lucky this year on the one I got. I think you know this, but I actually did hit the blind on mine and left a huge 2" hole in it from opening the head the whole way, I got lucky and still hit the bird in the vitals. I am sure I am gonna miss a few though over the next few years, I really do think they are much more difficult to kill than a deer when your using a bow. Thank god the damn things can't smell you like a deer can, I don't think we would ever see them if they could.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep that was it.

Stop thinking and shoot the damn things

I have been doing it for 23 years now, I bet we have 2 different golf swings as well. Yours is more instinct these days, and mine looks like this:

You will get there!! Have Fun

Old 05-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Somebody posted on here a few weeks ago that these animals we're pursuing aren't predatory (at least the ones I'M seeking).......so what's the big fuss? It ain't like they're gonna kill US!!!

Good advice.....lol.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff,
It's a hard shot. Not a big kill zone. I've killed several with my bow during deer season. But in the spring I break out the 12 gauge!

Darrall
Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

One last thing. We just got a new technohunt system installed at the shop this week. One of our regulars and one of the most accomplished archery only turkey hunters I know had an awesome idea. Last night he brought in his chair that he uses in his blind and set that up in the technohunt shooting lane and we put him and his son on an all turkeys set of scenes. What an awesome idea for practice. We could even setup a blind in there and shoot out of it, which I will probably do in preperation of turkey season next year. Just a thought for anyone that may have access to a DART or technohunt facility at a local shop.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

To absolutely KNOW that I'd have been tagged out.....2 weeks ago.....were I employing my M1 Field (Benelli) is absolutely of NO solace to me......even if it should be.

I still feel like I should have scored with the bow. Always will.

I've got tonight and tomorrow left.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I set my blind up this year and did that at our indoor range.

I'll do it MORE, next year. i didn't have on my facemask this year when I did it.....and I know how foreign it felt the day I drew down on the birds. I've SINCE practiced with it (and I can tell you......it's different than even wearing one while standing).

Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Bowbird misses, update see page 3. !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.