Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads & fletching size

Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default broadheads & fletching size

I always believed that you needed to shoot 5" fletchings w/ fixed blade broadheads, but lately I've been noticing a lot of really small fletchings on carbon arrows used by the TV guys. I'm still a believer that the bigger fletchings are better. Whats your thoughts?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: broadheads & fletching size

try some Bohning Blazer vanes. they aint no joke. i switched from 4" Right helical feathers to the 2" righ helical blazers. came home and shot my best groups ever...

for being small they do their job and then some.

but you give up clearance and forgiveness. they are extremely stiff when it comes to vanes or feathers...they bump something look out...and they are bigger in profile compared to anything else...so some might see clearance problems...

ive never heard a complaint about them.

i love the durability. ive passed them through hay bales, 3d targets, bag targets, hard foam targets...nothing phased them. even multiple pass throughs.

alot of guys have great success with them on an offset...i went with a helical...they work for me..
Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM

Blazers are the real deal. I was shooting Magnus Stingers last year at speeds in the 290's and consitently hitting a 2" square at 60 yards......They work.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a great artical in the latest Peterson's Bowhunting "Buy Better Shooting" where the guy talks about Blazers and Quickspins.

According to his tests the Blazers spin faster and stabilize better than longer standard vanes.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Old 05-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others...I love the blazers and they are very, very durable vanes.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

5" feathers all the way . Tryed blazers , they dont do as good a job of stearing
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Proper tuning has as much or more to do with arrow stability than fletchings. If your arrows aren't stabile, don't necessarily blame the size of fletching on the end.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Huntingson speaks the truth. I was shooting at my target in the yard last weekend.......and missed the darned thing when I put the wron pin on the target. My compost enclosure (was there when I bought the house) has sheets of tim rrofing around it.....and it perfectly stripped the fletchings off one of my hunting arrows.

I shot it from 20 yds to see what would happen.

Perfect.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot different fletchings/broadheads set ups over the years. As long as I keep myarrow spined properly and amshooting bullet holes through paper, I've never had a problem with broadhead flight. I'm by no means as technically inclinedas a lot of guys on here. If I have a serious issue I visit my pro shop and we get it worked out. Right now I am set up with threeblazers offset right.I am very satisfiedhow my arrows areflying with my snuffer ss broadheads.

Quick Reply: broadheads & fletching size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.