Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

releases

Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default releases

one thing i never asked or really seen asked was the position of trigger style releases.

mine is adjustable..i think i got an inch or so...i never knew where to set it..just put it where it felt comfortable.

is there a "proper" placement of it???
Old 05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: releases

Yep, there is a "proper" way to shoot an index-style release... I read an article not too long ago by Bernie Pellerite or whatever his name is in one of the many archery publications I receive at my house. It had some pics with it, too; I wish I could find it for you now.

Basically, you want to keep your release hand straight and in line with your wrist. The faulty way you've probably seen a lot of people implement is to "hunch" up their wrist, or cock it up. That's probably a release that needs to be lengthened. Anyway... You want your wrist to be able to lay naturally and in line with your forearm.

Then, you want the trigger to come up to the first joint of your finger... some even put it in the second. Bottom line is you don't want to be triggering it with the "pad" of your finger... You'll be punching it too easily then. Hopefully, if you can get it adjusted right, you'll be able to lay your finger over the trigger so that it comes to that joint and then trigger the release with back tension by squeezing your shoulder blades together.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well that pretty much takes care of it now doesnt it greg? [8D]

I have a trufire bulldog web release and you can actually adjust the trigger position itslelf. You can have it in the regular position or you can have it in the forward position. Its something they started doing this year that i really like. I like to have the trigger right in the first joint of my finger
Old 05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg / Mo,

That's what I have mine adjusted at (1" adjustable), and it does feel the most consistent and helps me avoid "punching" or flinching.

The problem with this "proper" way (fully extended wrist with trigger at first joint), and the reason some people might resist it, is it tends to shortens your draw. Doing this and adding a string loop almost knocked me down 1" on draw.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always tell long tmie rifle hunters its not a gun you dont need to put all of your finger across the thing just to the first joint where i can barley bend and itll let er rip
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lebeau, you might want to check into the newer "shorty" releases coming out this year... As Michael mentioned, the Bulldog looks to be a good one, and I bought a Scott Wildcat earlier this year I've been shooting with. That, and making my string loop as small as possible has really helped. I was noticing tonight that I've got my loop so small that I touch the back end of the nock just about every time as I'm hooking up... of course, when I put tension on it, there's space between my release hook and the nock -- but not much.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Greg / MO,

Yeah, right now I have a Tru-Fire, and since it is only 1.5 years old I will probably use it one more season, but for my next release I will definitely be looking for something shorter and more stable.

Sorry to change the subject, but would this help shorten the string loop or make it more consistent? Don't know about a metal loops.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm personally not a fan of metal loops... I think they would add too much weight, might be prone to "clicking" when hooking up... and I know in the case of my Scott Wildcat, I wouldn't even be able to use it since the jaws are made of aluminum in anticipation of hooking up into a rope; the instructions say not to even use it with a brass nock because of premature wear.

Maybe in a couple weeks when things settled down here job-wise (I keep posting after I about go stir-crazy while working on this huge project to give myself a break) I can do an instructional thread on how I tie in my nock sets and string loops.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg / Mo

Cool, will educate myself at the appropriate time.

Best wishes on project, finished mine today.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Mauser:

When I got my first release aid.....I had NO IDEA (naturally...I's never even shot a compound bow) of what I wanted or needed. I honestly just told my bow shop owner to order me the one he was using (and man...when I think back at how lucky I got having HIM for an owner and not some ass......lol). I got a Scott Sabertooth. Since I got the first one....I've had it adjusted as to trigger sensitivity.....and adjusted the barrel length a couple of times.

Greg/MO gives excellent advice (go figure). Good luck, buddy.

Quick Reply: releases

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.