Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

releases

Old 05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: releases

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Yep, there is a "proper" way to shoot an index-style release... I read an article not too long ago by Bernie Pellerite or whatever his name is in one of the many archery publications I receive at my house. It had some pics with it, too; I wish I could find it for you now.

Basically, you want to keep your release hand straight and in line with your wrist. The faulty way you've probably seen a lot of people implement is to "hunch" up their wrist, or cock it up. That's probably a release that needs to be lengthened. Anyway... You want your wrist to be able to lay naturally and in line with your forearm.

Then, you want the trigger to come up to the first joint of your finger... some even put it in the second. Bottom line is you don't want to be triggering it with the "pad" of your finger... You'll be punching it too easily then. Hopefully, if you can get it adjusted right, you'll be able to lay your finger over the trigger so that it comes to that joint and then trigger the release with back tension by squeezing your shoulder blades together.
Greg, funny how I've trying to explain that to people on here for years!..
Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe in a couple weeks when things settled down here job-wise (I keep posting after I about go stir-crazy while working on this huge project to give myself a break) I can do an instructional thread on how I tie in my nock sets and string loops.
I don't know about anyone else...but I could definitely use a refresher on this topic...I look forward to your post....
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

Did the loop fix the sight elevation issue without having to change your anchor point?

Lebeau, you might want to check into the newer "shorty" releases coming out this year... As Michael mentioned, the Bulldog looks to be a good one, and I bought a Scott Wildcat earlier this year I've been shooting with. That, and making my string loop as small as possible has really helped. I was noticing tonight that I've got my loop so small that I touch the back end of the nock just about every time as I'm hooking up... of course, when I put tension on it, there's space between my release hook and the nock -- but not much.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

It did, Matt... don't completely understand how the difference of using a brass nock in conjuction with an eliminator button made that much of a difference... (OK, upon second thought I guess it's because I moved my release up and directly behind the arrow nock as opposed to being under it by a 1/4 - 1/2 inch or whatever it comes out to be)... but yep, everything's golden now.

Thanks for asking.