Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Preparing for elk season.. 1/2 way there

Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Preparing for elk season.. 1/2 way there

Ill add to what shed sugests , to practice shooting from your knees , both shots I had last year were from my knees .
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Matt said, you need to move that sight......[8D].

I gotta say I am also envious of your trip. I am fortunate to have my cabin/property in PA to hunt but unfortunately I won't be able to go on any cool trips like these until I have the place paid off in a few more years. Hope you shoot a big one!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know when I shot my bull, I was at full draw for what seemed like forever....when my bow went off, the bull dropped, I was on all 4's trying to suck air....all that oxygen and I couldn't get any. It was the elevation for me. I thought I was in pretty good shape and I was, my muscles never fatigued however, oxygen was hard to come by...lol
For us flatlanders.
I have the same problem with elevation. My buddy has been bugging me to get back to the Rockies and hunt elk again. But, I'm getting to be more firm with the elevation restrictions. Nothing over about8,500 for me. Last time we spent the whole trip in the 11,000 range and it whipped my butt. Once you loose your breath up there, it takes about 5 minutes to get itback. Was in the best cardio shape of my life too. Problem is that there is no real way to train for elevation and lack of oxygen in any safe way except for spending a lot of time in the mountains. Some people are better equiped and not as sensitive then others though. Maybe I'lljust carry an oxygen mask next time.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Problem is that there is no real way to train for elevation and lack of oxygen in any safe way except for spending a lot of time in the mountains.
Sure there is. Put a plastic bag over your head and run up and down the stairs.

Good luckGreg.I am currently on the opposite end of thespectrum for my caribou hunt. I am gettingback into pretty good shape, but I have not shotnearly as much as I should. Hopefully we will both figure it all outprior to our respective trips.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I know when I shot my bull, I was at full draw for what seemed like forever....when my bow went off, the bull dropped, I was on all 4's trying to suck air....all that oxygen and I couldn't get any. It was the elevation for me. I thought I was in pretty good shape and I was, my muscles never fatigued however, oxygen was hard to come by...lol
For us flatlanders.
I have the same problem with elevation. My buddy has been bugging me to get back to the Rockies and hunt elk again. But, I'm getting to be more firm with the elevation restrictions. Nothing over about8,500 for me. Last time we spent the whole trip in the 11,000 range and it whipped my butt. Once you loose your breath up there, it takes about 5 minutes to get itback. Was in the best cardio shape of my life too. Problem is that there is no real way to train for elevation and lack of oxygen in any safe way except for spending a lot of time in the mountains. Some people are better equiped and not as sensitive then others though. Maybe I'lljust carry an oxygen mask next time.
Amen Bob, that was the case. I shot my bull at just over 10,000'. It seemed I could walk forever and not feel it in my muscles however, I did get short of breath. Around home, I could push the limits and not get short of breath for longer time frames.

Your right, there is no real way to train for it, all we can do is be in quality shape at home and hope for the best.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys... I REALLY appreciate all the tips, and even more than that the push to start hitting it hard. I'm just not as young as I used to be and sorta dread diving head-long into this getting-in-shape thing again. And I know -- that's all the more reason to.

And Matt and Rick... You're right, obviously... I've been concentrating on good form and groups moreso than impact point, though I'm proud of how my shooting has been this summer. I haven't messed with really fine tuning things because that's not the sight that's gonna be on my bow. That's an HHA ELT-5000 with a moveable sight pin which came on a bow I won a couple years ago from LeEarl over on AT when he made his tuning DVD.

I think this is an awesome sight (it's by far the brightest pin I've ever seen with over three FEET of fiber optics wrapped up in its housing)... and I want to shoot a multi-pin sight for my elk trip. I'm afraid at the moment when that elk stepped out there and all that adrenaline was flowing, I'd forget to loosen the nob and slide the pin to the setting it would need to be on... Hence, the lack of fine tuning on this one.

I've been shooting my Allegiance mostly this summer, and it's spot-on... but I'm slowly giving way to thoughts of taking the Guardian as my primary bow in the fall.

But the main thing is... I need to get in shape! Two more weeks of working on putting together this 90-page PowerPoint presentation to complete my new-hire training for my medical sales job I started six months ago, and my free time will go WAY up so I can start doing what I need to -- and feel mentally refreshed in the process.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Greg - sounds like you have a pretty firm grasp on what to expect. Montrose is only 6,000 feet in elevation - but I'm assuming you will be hunting somewhere uphill of the actual town . There are lots of elk at 8,000 feet in that area, but in September the big bulls are often in the big basins up near timber line - like 11,500 feet. I would also suggest you get a multitude of cow elk calls and practice extensively. Some of the best sounding calls are either diaphrams or the ones you bite down on. There are some good CD's out there . . . .
Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Roscoe.... I bought the whole Primos elk-calling kit which has the Hoochie Mama, a couple diaghram calls and a bugle. I can give her hell on the Hoochie Mama! The rest of them needs work!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

your elk hunt will not hinge on the difference between a 3" group or a 4" group and it will not be decided on whether your bow is going 320 fps or 340 fps and it will not matter if you've got 65 pounds of KE or 75 pounds of KE

if you do not have the legs and lungs, your elk hunt will most likely be unsuccessful. Spend a lot more time getting in shape and less time shooting your bow. Yes, that is true, as unpopular an opinion as it might be. You can shoot your bow once a week and be shooting groups fine enough to elk hunt with. You cannot excercise once a week and then go to Colorado and have expetations of a successful hunt.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dick Kirby (Quaker Boy) gave my son this call (heattends our church). I have to tell you, it is one of the best calls that I have ever heard. Don't know how much the elk like it though, have not had a chance to use it yet. You may want to check it out.

Quick Reply: Preparing for elk season.. 1/2 way there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.