Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 questions..

Old 12-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 2 questions..

if you dont know my story i dont bow hunt yet and havent shot a bow in years since i was little and that was only with a tiny 9lb compund bow that i was lucky to hit a target with...but plan to start bow hunting this coming fall...i was thinking...when you shot down a hill your shots with a rifle hit high i think im not sure...but anyways do you climb a tree and resight in so you are set to hunt or do arrows hit the same from 25ft up in a tree and on ground?? say at 20yd shots if that matters...also...say you shoot 100gr broadheads and 100gr field points...you sight your bow dead on at various ranges with the field points...do you ahve to resight it in with the broadheads you want to hunt with??...what do you do sharpen them if you shoot them or what? i plan on using muzzys and see nthey have practice blades i think they are...will them work and fly where the hunting blades hit?? thanx alot im just getting prepared so im not an idiot and miss deer and dont know why....i want to be ready and take one shot and make it a good one...not like my friends that shoot 5+arrows a year and never get a deer to show for it...thanx alot..

Old 12-18-2002, 09:01 PM

Default RE: 2 questions..

Yes and no. Sight in for 20 yards on the ground. When u get in the stand and shoot down on an animal, its going to hit a little high because of the less gravity effect. If your dead on on the ground, u have nothin to worry bout. It only hits a little bit high. If there so close where its going to hit really high, its a low percentage shot anyway. If there to close, u only hit one lung or u drive it through the back. In that case, id say wait for the deer to get out a little farther. Just sight in dead on at 20 yards and practice in your stand so u know where your going to hit.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you are up a tree you dont have to resight just bend at the waist.
You can tune your bow so the field points and broadheads impact in the same spot if not you will have to resight broad heads.
The muzzy practice blades shoot exactly as the razors do.
The best thing you can do is practice not only on the ground but from up a tree at your hunting height just remember to BEND AT THE WAIST.
Also practice sitting kneeling and in every position you can think of.
Did I mention that when shooting out of a tree to bend at the waist.

Hope this helps.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 12-19-2002, 05:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-19-2002, 05:59 AM
Dominant Buck

You've already gotten off on the wrong foot. This bowhunting thing just isn't going to work out for you. It's suppose to be fun....not worrysome. First thing you need is a BOW. The next thing you need is to SHOOT it and observe... and have fun. Don't go getting all wrapped up just yet in downhill/uphill/sitting/cold/hot and all the in between stuff. Buy a bow. Shoot it. Get a couple lessons. Then come back with your questions. It's suppose to be fun. You're trying to come up with ALL the possible questions before you've fired a shot. Your friends don't shoot at deer 5 times a year without getting a deer because they didn't ask all the questions. They miss because they don't practice or practice smart..... or they lie a lot. Get a bow and have fun.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

FUN!!!! David are you CRAZY!!!! This is an obsession, it is not fun! LOL

David is right mauser it needs to remain fun, I have to say you do remind me of myself when I started, there is no harm in asking questions now in regards to equipment and setups, it shows us that you want to do it right, not half way. First thing to do is get the bow, all the bells and whistles you feel are needed, arrows, and broadheads/practice broadheads/field points and then trust me, you will have more questions then you can shake a stick at!

Here is a suggestion that made a huge difference for me, try shooting one pin set dead on at 20 yards, then practice at all distances you feel comfortable with, there is nothing worse than knowing a deer is at 20 yards and in the heat of the moment sailing one right over thier back because you accidently used the 30 yard pin. The faster a bow shoots the less distance there will be between your pins, so confusion(at least for an old man)of pins is easy.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-19-2002, 07:12 AM

[the other guys are right as i browsed their replies...
this is an obsession for most of us....then there are the guys that only pull there bow out just before season.
once you are set up get out to as many 3d shoots as you can this helps in range guessing and getting to know your equipment...
I have not had a problem with point of impact between broad heads and feild points till this year. the doe was 45 yards away the arrow has more forward of center which drop abit sooner then expected...the second arrow didn't miss. get out there shoot and have fun.....
Old 12-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice from a tree stand with broadheads and you will know where they are going to hit , in genral they hit the same as when measured from the base of the tree as when you are on the ground of coarse from comes into play here thats why you try it before you go hunting .

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 12-19-2002, 07:53 AM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but you will have to be sure of placement as well. Hitting the deer is one thing, getting a kill shot is another. Take a look at some diagrams of deer s vital organs, so you know exactly where to aim.
Another thing that I think that helps are 3-d shoots. If the shoot is a good one, they will have shots where the deer are broadside as well as quartering away. It helps you know just where your arrow will hit if you shoot at a quartering away deer. Some 3-ds even have treestand shots, where you are shooting down at deer. I think once you have a bow, and are ready to shoot, practice is the biggest thing, like tazman said, know your pins, know your comfortable distance, and know your target and you will be dragging.
hope this helps

Jennings Buckmaster Bow
.50 Cal Thompson Center Renegade
Old 12-19-2002, 08:54 AM

Remember that gravity only affects the arrow on the horizontal component. If you use a laser range finder from your stand height and range the base of the landmarks around you(where you would expect to shoot) you will get a reading slightly farther than the horizontal component because you are shooting along the hypotenuse of the triangle. If you are going to use a laser rangefinder, range the landmarks as close to the elevation you are at as you can. That way you are only getting the horizontal component and you won't be shooting high. This may be getting too techy sounding and take some of the fun out of it, but it is info that should be useful in the future.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross

Quick Reply: 2 questions..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.