Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind hunting deer.....

Old 05-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Blind hunting deer.....

I've turkey hunted in the woods now a few times.....and I gotta tell ya.....you guys who hunt deer with a ground blind have my respect.

I've heard more blowin and snortin than I've EVER heard from a tree....in the last 3 weeks. I haven't had ONE deer NOT get spooked at the mere sight of the blind.

I understand I have 2 things going against me (as far as deer set-ups):

1- It's not brushed in
2- I have the netting "up"

But....you'd think my Matrix was neon yellow to their eyes. They LOCK DOWN on it VERY early.

I don't know if I'd deer hunt from a blind, now. I'm thinking rainy days are good days to stay at home with MY dear.

I might set it up in a new spot I have and brush it in good a time or two......just to see the difference. Who knows? I just know that I feel VERY "exposed" to the deer, here......and they aren't fooled.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blind hunting deer.....

I can second that Jeff. Granite I didn't take any scent percautions when turkey hunting, but I heard a ton of snorts. Even though I'm turkey hunting, it still hurt to hear the snorts, then I had to remind myself I wasn't deer hunting. But yeah, I agree....I will stick to my treestands.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blinds just flat out suck most of the time for deer!

As you've mentioned though, not having it brushed in plus having the windows up certainly made it stand out like a billboard to area whitetails! I'll take a tree ANYTIME over one of my Double Bull blinds! I'll save the blinds for turkey!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found that if using a ground blind the best thing to do is to get it to the site well before the season if possible and brush it in so the deer get used to its presence. The other thing that you can do is to create a natural blind, again far in advance of the season that the deer will get used to. A buddy of mine did this last season and used it to rattle in and take his biggest buck to date.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few spots that I hunted last year out of blind just because there were no trees to setup in. My suggestion is to leave the blind there for several days. Make sure you have the netting up, and brush it in well. I never hunt out of the blind the first day I set it up anymore, but after the second or third day they seem to calm down a bit and relax assuming you are downwind of the deer.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i huntof a blindin one spot and it is just absolutely awesome for that one spot shot many a doe out of that blind and seen some alright bucks. give it a shot
Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love blind huntingfor deer but mainly during muzzleloader,if I hunt on the ground with my bow Iusually don'tuse my box blind, I use a natural blind (branch endor stump endof deadfalls, old tobaccobarn &smoke house,or I'll cut out a small pocket intosuper thick areas that borderfields/food plots). I use my blind a lot during muzzlelaoder on old logging roads, powerlines and edges. I like to use the edges because once I brush it up a little just a little inside the edgeI think the deer have trouble with depth perception and picking it out against the wood line.Ikeep all the windows zipped up as much as possible andleave just enough open to seeout of and shoot out of. That worksgood for muzzleloader but not so good for bow, that is why I prefer the openness of a natural blind for bow, I have had some very unnerving experiences with whitetails on the ground with my bow. Sometimes they get too close (inside 2 or 3 yards) and things get very interesting. I always end up spooking thembecause youcan't even breathe at that rangewithout them seeing or smelling you, but it's still pretty fun.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

No good luck with blindhunting deer.

I thought if I put one on top of covered high point (about 20') overlooking funnel and food plot I could get one, but deer activity stopped abruptly (could be other reasons of course).

If you are going to hunt a blind for deer, I agree with the others, at least put it out in advance b/c the deer are going to see it and be wary. I think the same thing is true of ladder stands in some respects. Also, you are probably dispersing scent in putting up a blind or ladder stand, so that's another reason to set them up ahead of time if possible.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've actually had sucuess and put the blind out the morning I got in it, saw several deer over the course of a couple of hours and the closest was 3 or 4 yards away- I brushed the blind in with cedar and pine limbs and arrived an hour before daylight - to brush in