Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Minerals......it's time, guys.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Minerals......it's time, guys.

If you haven't replenished your mineral sites.....it's time. They're hitting mine hard, right now.....and I guess it's time to get the trail cams back out. I set mine on my mineral site. I'll likely put it up this coming Sunday.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing a bunch of trail cam pics in the near future. Yesterday's walk through the woods made me realize that hunting, for me, is right around the corner (1st week of Sept.....or thereabouts). I was already looking at possible stand sites, too.

Last time in my deer hunting grounds until opening day.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minerals......it's time, guys.

They've been hittin mine hard. Got pics yesterday of bucks w/ 3-4" of antler already. I keep em well nourished all winter so they get extra heavy racks.

Not to mention there are 9 new baby geese on our pond... put out some chick feed for em last night...

And the apple trees I planted over 10 yrs ago have their fist blossoms!!! Been a long time coming for them..

I love spring time, all the new wildlife, i enjoy watchin em grow and keepin em nurished.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it is the time. I just closed on a new home/property that has some really good sign. I'm going to have to figure out a game plan and get started, along with all my other chores!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the reminder , yes it is time!! I will try and squeeze it in to my never ending busy schedule cant wait to see some pics.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll spend 8 hrs. in the woods the first weekend in Aug. clearing my shooting lanes and re-strapping stands. I won't know whats out there until opening day. Oct. 1st.I never have suplimented or did the trail cam thing.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 AM

Freshened ours a couple weeks ago and already getting lots of pics. Real exciting. Mommas bringing yougin's in and they'll come all their lives to these spots. Just stands to reason the young boys coming now will continue to come as they age even if they move off, just to keep an eye and nose on the girls!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Chris:

The deer here get off the minerals about the time our season starts (early Sept.). I don't know how much good it does to "inventory" the deer.....because I have photos of deer on my minerals that I NEVER saw last year while on stand. Lisa and I just love looking at the pictures .

Your post made me think that maybe next year.....I won't set out a cam, either. i think it WOULD be exciting to have NO IDEA of what might be coming through that thicket.

I'm actually going to employ a little different tactic this year.....as far as setting out stands. I'm not going into my hunting areas until opening day.....when I'll hunt a climber for a couple of weeks. I don't want ANY of my scent in there...nor do I want to take a chance on disrupting their Summer patterns. If I get a good, rainy Saturday or Sunday.....I "might" set a stand, early. I honestly believe I'm either going to take a buck in the first 2 weeks......or none at all. I think I'm going to be recovering a few does in there......and I might bugger it up for buck hunting, early. We'll see. Either way.....the freezer don't know the difference!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I freshed mine yesterday too Jeff. I took the ATV and discs and turned up some new ground adjacent to my clover patch. I double the size of the plot with that work. The clovers are coming on strong so I limed them, limed part of the new piece for turnip, rape and brassicas and then planted buckwheat in the rest. They are hitting the clovers already and I saw a bear track there, they pass through but rarely stay....no turkeys in that area tho hopefully I'll attract and keep them.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first mineral lick is going in the ground this week. Cant wait to put the camera on it and see who all is around this summer.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Illegal to place mineral licks here.

Quick Reply: Minerals......it's time, guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.