Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey Dodged the Arrow

Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Turkey Dodged the Arrow

Have heard of this before, but saw it with my own eyes this morning. I had a long beard in full strut coming around the side of my blind. He was looking right at me at 22 yards. His path appeared to be staged to give me a broadside shot at about 18 yards if I wanted to wait some more, but I have always heard that shooting one coming or going was better than broadside. So I lined up on the center of his chest and let one go. I was holding the 20 yard pin on the chest as the arrow flew; and when the arrow was at least 1/2 way there, saw the bird react to the sight of the arrow coming towards him. He dodged to theleft just before impact and the arrow made an explosion of feathers going down the right side of his body. He kinda checked himself out, waddled back about ten yards, and went back to strutting. Amazing reflexes!!

Also, this was my first trip out with the new ASAT blind. When they say water resistant, they apparently mean very close to water proof. It rained for 2 1/2 hours. Some water came in the windows, of course, but none really leaked through the roof. Great product. I find it easier to set up than the Dbl. Bull.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Turkey Dodged the Arrow

I've never seen it, but I've heard of it. I believe turkeys to have the BEST eyesight of any critter in the woods, and they do indeed have amazing reflexes. I often refer to them as incredibly stupid birds w/ great eyesight.

I am liking my blind as well. It hasn't rained on me yet, but I'm glad to know it works that well. I'm still gonna Scotchgaurd mine though.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM

I talked to the Eastman folks about that very subject this afternoon. They advise against it - say it will leave a residual odor that lasts for a very long time. I honestly don't think it needs it. My black Walmart hooded sweatshirt was bone dry when I got out of the blind. It rained 1.1" up there today, according to the rancher.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya that happened to me also this year but i was only like 7 yards away. it was wierd it would have been a perfect shot.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats is crazy how good those birds can see. I have never had that happen to me (fortunately) and hope that i never do have it happen.

When he stepped back 10 yards and started strutting again why didnt you shoot him?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mike I was thinking the same thing, a second shot.....when the bird dodged, my headshot at 18 yards, the camera heard me say body shot, at 22 yards, dead bird running, then flopping, then recovered...lol

Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM

A second shot was attempted. The NAP Spitfire made a perfect three legged hole about 1" below the window opening on the blind. Bow appears to be paper tuned perfectly After that, bird ran off. Could probably hear me cursing . . . . .
Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

A second shot was attempted. The NAP Spitfire made a perfect three legged hole about 1" below the window opening on the blind. Bow appears to be paper tuned perfectly After that, bird ran off. Could probably hear me cursing . . . . .
LOL, thanks for sharing that and your not the first I've heard that from...good stuff.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh...yeah you got to be careful of that! My buddy Shawn did the same thing when we were bowhunting geese this winter.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bow appears to be paper tuned perfectly

That brought a good smile to my face... Thanks, I needed that!

Quick Reply: Turkey Dodged the Arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.