Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads are lined out/Learned an important lesson.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadheads are lined out/Learned an important lesson.

Well, as the subject says, I finally got the bugs worked out of my broadhead flight. Other than a very slight occasional contact between the cock vane and the moleskin on the prongs of my rest, which was easy to remedy, the only other problem was me. I know, big surprise there.

I met a neighbor who is really good, and he identified my problem without seeing me shoot by asking a simple question: Do you keep aiming until the arrow hits the target? I know I've hearda long time ago on this forum to watch the arrow all the way to the target, but I'd forgotten that. Once I took his advice, everything changed. I just focus on my form, settle the pin, release and don't change a thing until I see that arrow hit under the pin I'm aiming with. What a difference. 2" broadhead group at 30 yards and under.

Txjourneyman, I'm ready for June.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadheads are lined out/Learned an important lesson.

So are them hogs!!!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a really good tipthat helps alot. Its something that i have to remind myself every now and then when im not shooting straight. It helps fix the problem the majority of the time.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 PM

This is a lesson that I seem to also keep re-learning as time goes on. That one and remembering to squeeze the trigger release with back tension (surprise release) instead of "punching" it, or trying to control when the arrow lets go.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

remembering to squeeze the trigger release with back tension (surprise release) instead of "punching" it, or trying to control when the arrow lets go.
Just when I think I've got it, someone throws me a curve. Sorry to be ignorant, but I really don't know what you mean. Can you or someone else explain this? I was under the impression that "back tension" was a different type of release. How would you use back tension with a trigger release?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Back tension is a type of release, but it can be used with trigger releases as well. The best way to describe doing it is to place your finger on your trigger as you would while aiming, and put normal pressure on it. Once you've settled your pin pull with your back muscles and not your finger. Imagine you are trying to get your shoulder blades to touch each other. Through this pulling your finger will naturally move back and trigger the release. Doing this will also help your follow through since you are not actively hitting the trigger your bow hand will be less likely to grab and torque the bow.

Release and follow through are the two most important parts of the shot IMO. Anyone can aim.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Follow through is important in so many different sports. Shooting rifles and playing golf are two that come to mind.

Honestly you could trigger the bow any way you wanted if you had good enough follow through.

Paul