Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much speed needed to open up?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Default How much speed needed to open up?

I have read that several makers of mechanical broadheads recommend a certain minimum arrow speed (280 fps?) for reliable opening of the blades. Anyone have any experience with the Rage 2 blade expandable? I was wondering if they would open up out of a 47 lb. compound. Thanks. Roskoe
Old 04-26-2007, 05:00 PM

Default RE: How much speed needed to open up?

Never heard that before. I know they suggest a minimum KE in order to use some effectively.

I have used the Nail Drivers at a bit over 200 fps and they worked.

They open when they impact the skin of the animal, I don't see where speed would have any effect on how they worked. Other than a slow set up with a light arrow may not enough umph to get enough penitration.

However a 230 fps bow with an arrow over 500 grns would most likely send one right through the average deer.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM

I just looked at those heads and noticed you said a 47 lb bow. I would not suggest those heads for that bow. That design looks like it would actually take a bit more energy than a conventional mechanical head.

If you want to try some mechanicals stick with something like this.

Rocket arrowhead Steelhead line

They used to have a two blade head called Naildrivers, which is what I have used. They penitrate pretty well for a mechanical.

I think you would be better off with something like this out that bow though.

Ultimate Steel fixed blade

I have used these and they kick butt! They fly absolutely great as well. These are pretty decent head for a low poundage bow in my opinion.

Paul
Old 04-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Speed has little to do with recommendations for mechanicals except for it's relativity it plays in KE. ..... in the beginning year of mechanical heads, 55 ft lbs was the recommended KE for use of mechanical heads. Now times have changed and I can tell ya that I use (as a once anti-mechanical) Rocky Mountain Snypers (same as Rage) and they are amazing when it comes to opening on all materials I tested. I first tried them because of a test done by our own 5shot and his broadhead testing page. http://www.broadheadtests.com

My own experience with Snypers is they will open on paper and leave one hell of a huge entrance hole....

HOWEVER, I would not recommend them out of a 47 lb bow. The KE relative behind a bow of 47 lbs would be marginal at best for mechanicals. There is no reason that a person could not get a good chisel/cut to tip/fixed blade head to fly perfect with no need for a mechanical at the lower speeds/lower KE of a 47 lb bow. IMO
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know on some of the rocket expandables they recomend a certain speed to get full deployment before entry. At 47lbs I would lean more towards a cut on contact style head like the G5 Montec.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some of the Rockets that have the ears recommend speed minimums,supposedly the speed helps with the blades springing open quicker.

I am not sure if it is true,but I remember when Arthur was asking about the success people had with the expandables,the ones with speed seemed to be more succesful with them.Not scientific,I know but there were alot of responses to that thread and it was interesting.It could be just that speed bows(high ibo)have more ke by default but there were plenty shooting the Steelheads(as i do) with low energy setups with great results.

47#'s is low and if the draw length is around 29" or more,a Steelhead would do fine(they penetrate better than most 3 bladedfixed heads)

I am not sure about the rage heads,I am kinda interested in the 3 blade model.Might have to get a pack and do some testing.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Thanks, guys. I was kinda thinking the same thing - although it appears that the Rage expandables start opening up with very little resistance - like going through a piece of cardboard will do it. I have my son's bow shooting pretty well right now with the G5 Montec, but was entertaining the idea of the Rage. Right now, I'm planning on using them for deer in my ProTec; and using theMontec on elk.

Assuming it doesn't bleed off much energy to open up the Rage, however; how much less is it going to penetrate than the Montec? The Rage is technically a COC head and two large blades may not have much more resistance going through an animal than three medium blades. Just a thought . . . . .
Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 AM

i would think KE is more important.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:20 AM

FYI - Over on Rage's website (www.ragebroadheads.com) Tammy Gregory talks about using this head with success out of a 44 lb. bow.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not trying to downplay the need for KE, but here is some food for thought. When mechanicals were in their infancy I used Punchcutters which had a notoriously inefficient design by today's standards. I shot them off of 27" 2213 XX75s at 423 grains going a whopping 217 fps for a total KE of 44 ft. lbs. I took a number of deer with those and the only one that failed to produce a pass through hit the far shoulder blade and still punched through partially.

With today's broadhead designs combined with the efficiency of modern bows there is little to worry about. I think he would be fine with the Rages.

On the other hand, if you have the Montecs flying well, why chance it. You already have a set up that works, so go with that.

Quick Reply: How much speed needed to open up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.