Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

! RUST !

Old 12-17-2002, 12:16 PM

Default ! RUST !

I hunt in the nice dry state of washington. LOL. Well the season is over and I went to clean my bow good and noticed all most all of the screws were rusted. I took them all out and removed the bulk of the rust. My question is - Is there anything that you have found that works good for PREVENTING rust. I know that a good vegetable oil on my knife blade will keep it rust free. I was wondering If I could cover the screws and bolts with the vegetable oil. Is there any problem with this or do you have something better. Also I don't want my bow to be a stinky, oily mess. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ! RUST !

Personally, After hunting or shooting in damp conditions, I wipe down the bow real well with a dry towel. After that, I spray a light coating of WD40 on the metal parts (screws, ect). I wipe off the excess WD40, then apply a coating of bow wax to the strings and cables. I have had no problem with rust or wear on my bow after doing this.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:06 PM

Default RE: ! RUST !

Since the bow has been taken apart...why not go to the hardware store and pickup some stainless steel hardware? Our ACE store has a bunch of small drawers full of such hardware and if you bring along samples you can match them up with the matching nut to determine what you need. I'd bet you wouldn't spend more than 5 bucks and never have to mess with it again. Use a Marks-alot marker to make them black if you don't care for the color of stainless. I have the same problem to some degree and I think I'll follow this advice!