Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you guys ever see a squirrel fall and kill itself?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Did you guys ever see a squirrel fall and kill itself?

I was just thinking about something... I've seen a lot of squirrels fall out of the treetops,missing alimb, or having a branchsnap out from under their feet- usually their fluffy tail works as a rudder, steering them intoa headlong facefirst impact right into the dirt. Whoomp!

They either immediately get up and run away, or they get K.O.'ed for a while, only to regain their wits sometime later and hightail it.

Have you ever seen a squirrel actually kill itself after a fall?

Those little suckers are pretty tough. I've seen quite a few falls, but never a fatality.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did you guys ever see a squirrel fall and kill itself?

Hahaha, interesting question. Ive seen them take som pretty nasty falls but never seen one fall to its death! haha
Old 04-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

There where 2 in a tree once right next to eachother and I shoot one of them both of them jumped the one i shot hit the ground rolled and walked away and died the other one missed his target hit a branch that made him turn funny then the las big branch hit him in the back of the head and wamo me and my friends didnt stop laughing for an hour he jumped to his death but that was only because his friend got shot that was almoe touching him.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dude, where do you come up with this stuff? Whatever it is keep it coming. I need the laughs while dealing with other people's problems at work.

Anyway, know the only time I've seen squirrels fall to their death was when they were at the business end of my shotgun. Any other time they've always just run away.

One time I did see a squirrel fall from a missed jump from one tree to another about 15' up. He landed and I swear he stood there looking around in a circle as if he was saying to himself "did anyone see that?" I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really thought I got one a couple years ago. There was this rogue grey squirrel who really took issue with my stand placement. Everytime I hunted that stand, we had a confrontation. He really had it out for me, probably because I was perched in his favorite white oak. It was gonna end badly for one of us. It was a test of wills.

There were some vines around, one of which crossed just within arm's reach of my stand.

As morning passed, Ikinda just waited until Mr. Fluffynuts came out. Not long later, he emerged and immediatelypicked me out and started getting all riled up as usual.

Well, I waited until he grabbed that particular vine (which I already had in my hand), and I yanked it right out from under him. DowngoesFluffynuts.

Can you believe that filthy mongrel survived?It HAD to be 25+ feet. I think we had a mutual respect for each other after that.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

No but I did have a chipmunk fall out of a tree while I was fishing and splash into the creek.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hah, no but I did see one last year when hiking to pull my game cam that fell clear out of the top of one of the biggest oaks on my property. I swear it was probably 150' fall and he hopped up and ran away.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

HAHA i love it fluffynuts.. but now that you mention it i dont think i have seen one die from falling.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

actually i have. i was waiting out for the bus oh probably 4 or 5 years ago, and we have these huge oaks at the end of our driveway and all of a sudden i hear this little scream type of a sound and like 2 feet in front of me the poor little fellow landed hard right on the highway. he didnt make it. he probabl fell about 70 feet or so.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen them fall from trees and powerlines...powerlines they would hit the blacktop and just run away...pretty impressive animals. they are pretty tought little guys. ive knocked them from trees with 5shot highbrass and they hit the ground running! i remember one jumped on a s stump with a nut. BAM 5shot highbrass headed his way...perfect shot..nailed him hard and sent him flying off the stump...to get there and find he ran away!!

Quick Reply: Did you guys ever see a squirrel fall and kill itself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.