Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about deer mount.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question about deer mount.

I paid a little more than half when I left my buck at the taxidermist. I can't speak for him.....but if it were me.....and a customer wanted to come by and check on his mount....AND give me cash(balance)......i "think" I wouldn't mind.

nctaxi did my piebald hide tanning and did a WONDERFUL job. I've seen his work....and it's outstanding. Having never had a deer mounted.....I went with another taxi a little closer to me who has a great reputation, ALSO. His studio speaks volumes for his work.

If you handle it right.....I don't think he'd have a problem with it at all. Most "craftsmen/artists" (which is, I believe, what these pros are)like showing their work.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Taxi lives about 1/4 mile from me. I stop in often, he is a character and his house is full of everything from Grizzly Bear to Warthogs (along with several nationally famous, Whitetails)..His stories are priceless he's guided in Alaska and Hunts every year in Africa.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can stop in, but you probably won't "see" how it is coming. The taxi that I use sends the capes off for tanning and then does the work when they get back. However, it only takes him about a week to zip it all up. So, unless I stopped in that week I wouldn't get to see anything of mine except the rack, or if he had the hide back but hadn't gotten to it yet, the tanned cape.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it really depends on your relationship with the Taxi. But like was said earlier, there is a good chance you won't see anything. If he's actually working on the mount, then it'll be done within a couple weeks. So if you're going there just to see it, I personally would wait.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think he would mind if you called and asked to stop in just to talk to him. Luckily for me, my taxi is a good friend of mine who i go on some trips with. Because of this he will do mine as soon as he gets the hide back from the tannery, but for everyone else its normally about 8-9 months to get theirs back.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT - you should call and congratulate him, he missed best in world whitetail by 1/2 pt!!!!! He's good. I probably would have been offended if you would have taken your mount to some other guys but Keith is too good not to. He is a great guy.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, nc. I've heard nothing but good things about Keith, too.....and I appreciate both your understanding and your words of praise for his work.

Thanks, again.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM

I stop by my taxi's place a lot even if I don't have a deer there just to see what some of the other ones are looking like. It wouldn't be rude to stop and see but like was said before at a certain piont it becomes annoying. I have never paid the full amount before completion.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM

i know (somewhat) and trust my taxi, so i just pay it all up front. Heonly asks for half as a deposit, but i just fork up the dough before i dont have it anymore. ihave awood duck there right now, and wont get it back until August. i dont plan on going to see it, but if i was up around his place id prob stop in and see how hes doing. nothing like being friendly with people, it can go along way withsome.