Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I THINK I'M MAKING PROGESS W/BROADHEADS

Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Default RE: I THINK I'M MAKING PROGESS W/BROADHEADS

I will take you one step farther. Don't aim at a dot at all.

Aim at vertical and horizontal lines on your target.

Draw a line from the left to right on your target (or right to left). Then aim at that line when setting your nocking point or adjusting your sights up and down. Only worry about keeping your pin on the line horizontally. If the pin floats left and right don't worry about it, as long as it stays on the line.

Then aim at a line from the top to the bottom of your target. Use this line to set your center shot and while moving your sights from side to side. Again, only concentrate on keeping the pin on the line, don't worry if it floats up and down.

Aiming at one axis at a time is easier to do since your brain and muscles only need to do half the work. They are not fighting to keep the pin steady up, down, left and right. It sounds goofy, but try it you will see what I mean.

I suggest working on your nocking point first (or moving your rest up and down). Then move to your center shot. ONLY adjust one axis at a time! Resist the urge to make two adjustments at the same time, unless it is way off and you are just trying to get everything "close". Nocking point first, then center shot. After that check them again and adjust if needed. It's a process, and it takes time.

Same thing goes for shooting a rifle. When adjusting a scope only adjust one axis at a time. Don't take a shot, then change your windage a few clicks and your elevation a few more.

And when I commented on your spine I didn't mean to imply you had the wrong arrows. Just that it could probably be fine tuned some more by changing tip weight, fletch weight or adjusting your poundage to get the arrows to more closely match your bow.

And remember like I said before, shooting broad heads is a bit trickier than shooting target arrows. It requires better and more consistent form. Don't always expect the arrows to group as well.

Closely matched arrows are pretty important as well, I suggest numbering them. If you keep getting fliers, check to see if it's the same few arrows. Chances are they are not right and need to checked over or pitched or used only with practice tips. It's not uncommon to only have 6 decent hunting arrows out of a dozen, especially with carbons in some cases.

Looks like you are getting it though. Actually I would be happy with what you have if the arrows are flying straight.

Paul

Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: early in

Every one of those shots killed a deer.
Umm yes but is the "Margin of Error" Acceptable, sorry LC[8D]

You are looking good!!Keep listening to TFOX he knows his stuff.

That " Margin of Error" part is toooo funny!I think that's part of what keeps us coming back.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good advice paul,I use that all the time but rarely suggest it.Probably because it takes 2 pages to describe.

Little chief,5" feathers would be overkill and might even be more than the arrows could handle.Fast,light(not really sure where the cut off lies)arrows don't like alot of drag,slows them down too fast and they become unstable in flight.I doubt it would be a problem at hunting distances though.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

all your shots are just a little down to the left
ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Sorry for the delay. First I couldn't get the reply to work, then my mouse died. Here's the pic of the 20 yard BH group. Don't know what happened with the dead center. I'd say this is better.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX,
Fast, light arrows? Remember, I dropped to 270 fps with a 475 grain arrow. I know that 270 fpsmay still be considered fast, but surely 475 grains isn't considered light. I haven't decided yet, but if I did decide to switch to feathers, what would you recommend?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

childers,
I know. That was the good part. Consistency. I had just adjusted the bow and hadn't moved the sight yet.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

TFOX,
Fast, light arrows? Remember, I dropped to 270 fps with a 475 grain arrow. I know that 270 fpsmay still be considered fast, but surely 475 grains isn't considered light. I haven't decided yet, but if I did decide to switch to feathers, what would you recommend?

That is why I stated I really don't know where the cut off lies but 475 grains used to be considered light and 270 is still somewhat fast.Regardless,4" feathers are plenty.

The 5" needs to be saved for those that choose the traditional gear.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got it, TFOX. Thanks. That'll increase the FOC just a bit more if I go that route.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you get them flying well with vanes and decide you want to try the feathers later we can fletch a few up when you get down here. I have a few 4" feathers laying around. We could also try a couple with Blazers if you'd like, I've got a couple hundred of them.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

tjm,
Thanks! I may go that route. I'm not really that anxious to fork out half the cost of the arrows to get them re-fletched, so I'll keep working it.

Quick Reply: I THINK I'M MAKING PROGESS W/BROADHEADS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.