Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I THINK I'M MAKING PROGESS W/BROADHEADS

Old 04-24-2007, 06:33 PM

Default RE: I THINK I'M MAKING PROGESS W/BROADHEADS

You didn't mention which broadhead you were using. Some are a lot easier to tune to shoot with field points than others. Expandables, of course, are usually the easiest. And for the fixed blade models, some are better than others - depending on the bow and the shooter.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had to go away for a while, and my mouse is dead.
TFOX/Txjourneyman,
Everything was low left. That's what I was happy about. Like I said, I hadn't adjusted the sights yet. After I adjusted the sights to match, and the FPs are centered and the Montecs are hitting good at 20 yards and a little low left at 30 yards. 5" groups at 40 yards. I still need to tweak, but I'm pretty sure I can take a hog at or less than 30 yards. I did notice that one of the five arrows wanted to fly it's own path, so I set it aside for more arrow work.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may be able to turn the nock a little/alot,or even replace the nock on the flierto get it to shoot with the rest.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 AM

keep messing with it looks like its almost there
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L. Mohr
For starters I don't think your spine is as good as you think it is.
You may be right, but it's a lot closer than it was. According to the Gold Tip chart, my 28" arrow at 71-75# draw with a 125 grain head falls right at the border of needing .340 spine and .300 spine. The 7595 Hardwoods HD spine is .300. I was shooting 5575's with a .400 spine. Granted, I haven't gone to the lengths that Straightarrow described over on the technical forum, but I thinkI'm a lot better off than I was.

quote:
ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr
Some things that may help; more FOC, more fletching for better steering and possibly a lower profile head that would fly better.
ORIGINAL: TFOX
IMO,feathers would make the whole process a bit easier.
I've already been considering going to 5" feathers to increase steering control. It would also increase my FOC from 11.11% to 12.15%. I'm not willing to go with a lower profile head, though. I want and feel like I need that larger cutting area.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Roskoe,
I'm shooting 125 grainG5 Montecs.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: early in

Every one of those shots killed a deer.
Umm yes but is the "Margin of Error" Acceptable, sorry LC[8D]

You are looking good!!Keep listening to TFOX he knows his stuff.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tfox

Changed from a 400 epic to a 340 beman Ics so the spine should not be an issue- Just curious with todays low profile broaheds - if speed had a major impact on broadhead accuracy - the bow is tuned and shooting bullet holes with field points but my stingers are low 3to 4 inches

The rocket I tried yesterday hit dead center - but not a huge fan of mechanicals I will keep tinkering and see what i can find out
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 AM

LC, another thing that might help a little, is to place a small piece of tape or paint a small dot (about 1 inch) in the middle of the BIG dots on your BH target. Just a suggestion...

TFOX, is probably right on the $$$ about the nock on your wild arrow.

You'll get the bugs worked out.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's right. You know, I forgot about that. Aim small, miss small, right? That's one of the first things I was shown at the range when I bought my bow. Instead of having me shoot at a target, the owner put an insulation tack in the back wall and said to shoot at that. It made a huge difference. I know now not to use a tack. When I hit it, it ruined the FP/insert and left a tack buried in his backstop.

Quick Reply: I THINK I'M MAKING PROGESS W/BROADHEADS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.