Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Margin for error"

Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Margin for error"

I kinda understand now. To try to answer I'll say that I shoot1 pin that's locked in at 25 yards for hunting. With this 1 pin I can effectively kill a deer from point blank to around 40 yards without having to compensate much. I feel comfortable with that.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

This thread has nothing to do with you, Atlas.

And...I've never shot at a moving target.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

You can have this one, too, Atlas....I'll move on.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Grow up Atlas, you whine like a 2 year old when someone does this to one of your threads.

No different than you whining about GMMAT posting something just to argue.

I forgot you only speak the truth[:'(]

Stop acting like a pompous arse
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say no more than 2" from where you are aiming, so a 4" group centered around perfect center... for deer. A little bigger for caribou, a little bigger for elk, bigger yet for moose, and very very tiny for a chipmunk.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas the great quote poster. It gets a little old after a while.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: germ

Grow up Atlas, you whine like a 2 year old when someone does this to one of your threads.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Atlas ..... so many agree with Germ here ..... stop acting like a punk ...

Jeff, by a 3" margin of error, do you mean 1 1/2" from center?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

With this 1 pin I can effectively kill a deer from point blank to around 40 yards without having to compensate much. I feel comfortable with that.
But you see, you've already induced a margin of error that to manyof us is unacceptable. In the range you're talking about I really doubt that you're within the kill zone. you're inducing fringe hits on a paper target. Add a real live animal and you've created a miss or a bad hit. Someone mentioned the old pie plate. Maybe if you're shooting a recurve and don't practice a lot. LOL Really, the old pie plate puts a lot of arrows where they shouldn't be.

As far as my margin of error. I pick and choose and do whateve I have to to get broadheads to shoot with my field points. So my margin of error is not different. A 3 inch margin of error gives you a 6 inch circle. That's getting mighty big and in my opinion, unacceptable when shooting paper. On an actual hunt I hope for far less. I aim for "The Spot" and when I miss it..... it's unacceptable. I'll take all the lucky breaks I can get, but I still don't like to miss what I aim at. That's one reason I could never be a one pin kind of guy. Before I'd do that I'd throw away all the sights and shoot instinctively.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I replied back to GR8, yesterday via PM....and said that the time I had the deer at what I "thought" was 24-27 yds..........I put the top pin a little high on the SPOT I was aiming at.....allowing for a little arrow "drop" (2"?). So, effectively.....(and this was my train of thought).....I'm aiming EXACTLY 2-3" high on the spot (due to the angle from an elevated perch). At that range.....if I'm 2" high.....it's a double-lung shot and hopefully a quick recovery. My "margin for error" was the fact that I didn't know the EXACT yarage. I hadn't ranged that EXACT tree before (he was lifting his head to work a licking branch on a scrape).....but I HAD ranged trees around him. I honestly wouldn't have fared any better if I'd had my rangefinder in my pocket.

"High/Low".....did I hit "low"? Yes. In my eyes it was. "Front/back" did I hit my spot? You bet. I was confident I could.....or I wouldn't have loosed the arrow.

The original premise of the thread was to show that EVEN when we do everything "right" (in our own, individual eyes)......there are STILL times when an animal is COMPLETELY MISSED. As much as it happens.....it's still a little hard to explain, sometimes.

Shot selection is extremely personal and goes back to ethics. I think I took an ethical shot...based on the thought process I utilized. I'm not defending that....because I don't have to. I was wondering what others used as their thought process.....and I appreciate the replies.

Quick Reply: "Margin for error"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.