Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any good exercises for archery?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any good exercises for archery?

This may be a stupid question (despite what my teacher told me), but other than actually shooting a bow a lot,
are there any good exercises for strengthening the shoulders and back specifically for archery?

I'm not asking this so someone can tell me I am pulling too much weight because I am not. I just want to prevent
injury and increase my accuracy.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any good exercises for archery?

Tie a rope to a concrete block and hang it over your deck/ porch rail. Then pull it up as if you we drawing your bow. In a matter of weeks of doing itdaily for 10 or 15 minutes. You will up your draw weigh by 10 pounds or better.
Also you might think of getting a recurve or long bow and start shooting that. Because they have no let off it requires you to draw the full amount of weight back everytime. Which in turn, will help you build shoulder and back muscles.
Other then that... ALOT of shooting! Good luck!!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:46 AM

you could use some dumb bells and lift them with your sholders
Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Push-ups my friend. Probably the best yet most overlooked exercise on the planet for strengthening the upper body. Plus the equipment is free and you always have it with you.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just started doing something that is helping. Draw strength isn't my problem. Holding that bow steady is the problem that I have. A suggestion that was made to help me was to take a 10 to15 pound dumbbell and hold it in your bow hand out in the full draw position. It is making a huge improvement in my ability to hold the bow steady and keep the pin from dancing around the target.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

any chest, shoulder, arm and back exercises should help. you use alot more muscles than youd think. bent over rows and other back exercises would be good...but practically your whole upper body is used to draw and hold back a bow.

pushup would be good as well...

they also make devices seen in most archery supply catalogs that will let you act like your drawing a bow without drawing your bow to build and maintain the muscles...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I'd like to see... a draw practice gadget that weighs about 10 pounds with adjustable draw weight. Holding that extra weight out front is good practice for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

In many years of archery I feel the Bow arm is actually the most important for accuracy. IF you have a rock solid bow arm you can make many mistalkes upon release & still nail your target. Strengthen it as well. Push ups are great but nothing actually beats shooting often. Good Luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for replies.

ElkNutz, that tying a rope to a concrete block and throwing it off the deck sounds a lot like one of those fraternity hazing rituals.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:07 PM

yep lat pulls.Shooting your bow!Bowfit exersizer.

Quick Reply: Any good exercises for archery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.