Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fox Hunting?

Old 12-16-2002, 10:24 PM

Default Fox Hunting?

I Wanna Go Hunting For That Fox I Saw On Saturday...Since I Think It Was Juss A Chance Sightin At Seeing Him...How Would I Go About Hunting This Little Feller?.....Would He Stay In A Near By Area?..And What Kind Of Calls Can I Use To Get Him To Come Closer?...Any Help On Fox Hunting Would Be A Help?
Thanks

RoMeO^19
Old 12-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fox Hunting?

Back in Australia I used to hunt foxes a lot and used a fox whistle to get them within range.

The whistle mimmicked (sp) a rabbit that was caught in a trap a distress like call.

As a rule they can be territorial so it still should be in the general area.

Hope this helps.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 12-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted fox with the bow for four years now, and it isn't easy by any means! I've taken three arctic fox, which are alot easier than reds, and finally took my first red/cross fox last month.

Fox wander so much, but they do stay in specific areas. They might not come back to that area for weeks, or they might of just been passing through. I don't even try to pattern them, I just take the opportunity when it arrives. I've stalked probably 15-20 red fox, and here was my last stalk, which was my first successful stalk.

I've also stalked them with a .22, not near as fun with the kill, but the one fox I did get with the .22 came in so fast, I didn't have time to get the shot off before he ran into the barrel of my gun! I had to lift it up to keep him from getting to my eyes, which he was focused right on. He jumped back, sat there looking at this big white blob moving on the ground, and let me fire off a round at 5 feet! That was some serious fun, and I got a good old rush out of it. I called that fox in using a squeeking noise with my mouth. I wish I could of got that on video, it would of been priceless!
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 12-17-2002, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I have called fox for a number of years. The good ole' dying rabbit call seems to be the best most of the time. Calling is actually easy for grey fox, but much more difficult for reds as they tend to hang up out of bow range. Sometimes you can coax them in with a soft mouse squealer. Or you can stalk them like ABM but that is harder than stalking a deer. Good luck

"Semper Fi"