Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newfound respect for my fellow hunters.....

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Newfound respect for my fellow hunters.....

My trials and tribulations in the turkey woods and fields have led me to the conclusion that the lack of "success" stories (if bagging game is your barometer of 'success') has very little to do with the amount of effort exerted in "some" cases.

I may be alone......but I relate my turkey hunting to my deer hunting in a LOT of ways. I go after each with a lot of preparation and effort. To date.....that hasn't paid off in turkey hunting.

What I've also realized is.....I have chosen a route in which to pursue these animals that isn't exactly condusive to tagging out in record time (i.e. the pursuit of them via stick and string). That's what makes EACH encounter special, though. THAT is what is going to make the day I DO harvest a bird with archery tackle something special.

I think about the stories I hear, now, of a lot of you guys deer hunting. I'm SO FORTUNATE .....in that I have deer woods that are FULL of game. I hear the stories of how hard some of you go at your deer herds.....and I can't for the life of me relate.......until now.

I hunted 10 separate hunts in the first week of my turkey season......had some encounters that were AWESOME......but have ZERO birds in the freezer to show for my efforts. If I'd chosen to take a smokepole.......I'd be tagged out, right now. If I relate those same efforts to MY deer hunting........I'd have had the opportunity to "likely" fill several tags in that same effort.

Iguess what I'm trying to say is........we ALL have our own, INDIVIDUAL goals and definitions of what "success" is. I know some of you go after whitetails with more effort than I do in ANY of the pursuits I choose....and I'd like to commend you on your efforts, as well.

If it was easy.......it wouldn't be NEARLY the fun it is. If it was THAT easy......they'd call it "shooting" in lieu of "Hunting". I'm having a BLAST............."Hunting". I've been humbled in the opening days of turkey hunting......like I haven't experienced in deer hunting. That's a GOOD thing. It'll make "that day" SO MUCH more special.

Good luck, guys (and gals).
Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newfound respect for my fellow hunters.....

Thats why i love chasing the birds with archery equip. I have been EXTREMELY fortunate this year and a lot of it has to do with luck...catching the birds in the right mood and so on..

The harder it is and the more work you put in, the sweeter the reward

Also, once you get your new HB cutter turkey calls in the mail, you will have birds running at you begging you to shoot them!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

Thats why i love chasing the birds with archery equip. I have been EXTREMELY fortunate this year and a lot of it has to do with luck...catching the birds in the right mood and so on..

The harder it is and the more work you put in, the sweeter the reward
Very true. The three birds I stuck a week ago tonight was in an area that birds funnelled through, we knew that, but it was shear luck that I had opportunities at three different toms in the same evening.

Keep it up Jeff, you'll get your bird!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

DWD, you shot three toms in one night?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 AM

its a challange and thats why i love it
Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were easy it would not keep us up at night. The fact that it is difficult is why we get the shakes and why after finally succeding in bagging an animal our rush of adrenaline can be so great that it actually overdoses our bodies and makes us feel sick. The feelings that bowhunting gives me are unique and truly awesome. Why would we put ourselves through the tortures of sub-zero mornings, no sleep, terrible food, wet boots, sore muscles, and filthy bodies? Because it is worth it.