Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you voted Jake

Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you voted Jake

Oh and Germ, i wasnt saying that your shot placement wasnt good, cause obviously it was!

I was just saying that shot placement is SO critical when hunting turkeys with bows. Its hard enought just to hit the bird, but then you have to basically hit a baseball sized area...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thx Michael

I really thought this bird would have just flopped over. I will try and do better next time.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havent had one flop over yet this year...they are tough!

I think that if you hit them in the vitals they are rarely just going to flop. I shot one this past fall with expandables and hit off target. It just happened to be that off target was right at the base of the neck and he dropped like a fly...

I believe its pretty tough to drop them in their tracks with a fixed blad broadhead and a 300 fps bow, but it will definately kill them just as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I havent had one flop over yet this year...they are tough!

I think that if you hit them in the vitals they are rarely just going to flop. I shot one this past fall with expandables and hit off target. It just happened to be that off target was right at the base of the neck and he dropped like a fly...

I believe its pretty tough to drop them in their tracks with a fixed blad broadhead and a 300 fps bow, but it will definately kill them just as well.
Ok that makes sense, I just have an idea in my head they should flop over. I guess I need to treat them like deer.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want 'em to flop for sure, grab some Guillotines! [8D]
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you want 'em to flop for sure, grab some Guillotines! [8D]
Mike my buddy shot one with those on Video. He hit the bird dead center in the head.

The bird fell over he waited about 5 min because his Dad was trying to get a bird. On the tape in the corner you see his bird pick his head up. Then it takes off running, LOL

Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

No way! Ive never heard of something like that happening! Must of just kncoked him out from the shock or something...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

No way! Ive never heard of something like that happening! Must of just kncoked him out from the shock or something...
I will ask him for tape and show it here if he gives it up.

The Turkey's head was down, we think that is why it just knocked him out.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ,

I wonder if the poundage of your bow had anything to do with it. 68lbs for a little bird like that! Either way not sure. I'd like to accomplish a bird with a bow but I'd like to get a bunch of birds first. To date I only have 4. Maybe after 20 or so I'd more likely to take one with a bow.

BTW- How much breast meat would you say you ended up with?

Congrats!

Tom
Old 04-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Germ,

I wonder if the poundage of your bow had anything to do with it. 68lbs for a little bird like that! Either way not sure. I'd like to accomplish a bird with a bow but I'd like to get a bunch of birds first. To date I only have 4. Maybe after 20 or so I'd more likely to take one with a bow.

BTW- How much breast meat would you say you ended up with?

Congrats!

Tom
I shoot 68 for everything, I never thought of less pounds.

I had enough breast for on Home made Turkey Pop-Pie from my Mother
I pick it up after work.

Hard to say I had 1 full breast, and 1 I had was almost cut in half and I had to takes bits and pieces out. I would say 1/3 of a pound

Quick Reply: If you voted Jake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.