Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you voted Jake

Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you voted Jake

Germ,

When you shot the turkey that way was there any damage to the breast meat? Was the bird a complete mess?

Did you recover your arrow? How far was it from where you hit the bird? What poundage are you shooting?

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go Germ and I could sense the excitement in your voice during your phone call. Fantastic job and great photos too.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gary ..... I voted longbeard[:@]

Hey man, congrats ... I love the pics ... the blind looks great awesome job!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is some good work
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Al my Turkeys have run 50+ yds. Hell my deer only went 35
My hen might have went an inch if she fell forwardI used the gulliotine it flew straight killed her dead and there was no damage to the meat. Just something to consider for next year. Congrats on the bird!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Great looking pics, and congrats!!!

Do you think a mech would have stopped him any quicker? Good shooting!
Yes i do Greg, I am now convinced Mech is the way to go. Al my Turkeys have run 50+ yds. Hell my deer only went 35[8D]
Sure it isn't shot placement? My turkey last year went 0 yards. He just flopped around after a hit with an 85gr 1 3/8" fixed blade. Could have been a total fluke though. I am no turkey expert. In fact, I know just about nothing about turkeys or turkey hunting. Question above is an honest one, not meant to be a smart comment.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Sure it isn't shot placement? My turkey last year went 0 yards. He just flopped around after a hit with an 85gr 1 3/8" fixed blade. Could have been a total fluke though. I am no turkey expert. In fact, I know just about nothing about turkeys or turkey hunting. Question above is an honest one, not meant to be a smart comment.
Yes, it definatly is shot placement. You can kill them no problem with a fixed blade..i do anyway. I do however feel that mechanicals with a larger cutting diameter allow for a little more error. They also slow down while expanding and may help to keep the arrow in the bird.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Germ,

When you shot the turkey that way was there any damage to the breast meat? Was the bird a complete mess?

Did you recover your arrow? How far was it from where you hit the bird? What poundage are you shooting?

Thanks

Tom
I lost about 25% of the breast meat, the bird was not a complete mess. I skinned him with no problem.

Yes I recoverd my arrow about 5 yds from whereI shot the turkey.

I am shooting 68 lbs
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Great looking pics, and congrats!!!

Do you think a mech would have stopped him any quicker? Good shooting!
Yes i do Greg, I am now convinced Mech is the way to go. Al my Turkeys have run 50+ yds. Hell my deer only went 35[8D]
I am sure it is, I also shot one of my older Montec's that is not as sharp.

MichaelHunsucker where do you aim? Do you wait for the bird to get in a certain position?

I hit this bird right up the shoot(butt), the arrow did come out the right breast. I did take part of the right lung out.

Just wondering?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

MichaelHunsucker where do you aim? Do you wait for the bird to get in a certain position?
I really perfer a head on shot or a facing away shot. I think that it is easier to pick a spot on the bird. However, you do have a better chance of breaking a leg, or a wing with a broadside shot...

Also, when i shot that jake this year i shot him facing, right in the chest and the arrow went straight out his back and was above the breast meat so none of it got damaged.

Quick Reply: If you voted Jake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.