Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Permission to hunt..Help quick

Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Permission to hunt..Help quick

Tomorrrow my Grandma is selling her farm where I have always hunted. it is being sold in the form of an auction. More than likely the person who buys it will be from out of state. Probably from the Baltimore/DC area. I would like to get permission to continus to hunt this area. Should I hit the person up tomorrow after they buy the property (in person) or should I wait a while. The problem with waiting a while is I may not get the chance to do it in person or may have a hard time in getting the contact info. There is a high probability this will be a retreat for the new owner and they won't be there all the time. So it may be hard for me to "catch" them at the farm to ask permission in person at a later date. I am hoping they may have some sympathy for me losing my hunting spot.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Permission to hunt..Help quick

I would vote do it quickly. I would come dressed fairly nicely, and approach the new owner with a solid handshake and looking him straight in the eye. I'd explain your history with the property, and ask politely about hunting it in the future. Just a secret of mine... I always throw in that I'll never bring anyone else onto the property, and that I'm strictly a bowhunter; he'll never have to worry about a stray bullet or wander about gun blasts in the distance... It seems to work for me; I just got acess to another prime Illinois farm two days ago.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:43 PM

Thanks Greg that is kinda what I was leaning towards but wanted other opinions.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Greg ...... do it in person and right away .... in addition to the things Greg said, I would also offer to police the property for them as well .....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Put on a tie also.
And give the new owner some type of contact info.
Your name of course, phone, address, where you work , the kind of vehicle you have and plate #.
Offer to watch the property while they are absent and take care of a couple little chores. And if they hunt at all....rifle you hope...show them the good spots.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 PM

go for it tomorrow dude.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

TELL THEM U WILL KEEP AND EYE ON THE PLACE AND HELP KEEP ALL OTHER HUNTERS OFF IT/TRESPASSERS OUT. They love this. Goodluck
Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ash2042
I am hoping they may have some sympathy for me losing my hunting spot.
I have very serious doubts about that. Realistically, someone will buy the property for their own outdoor recreational op and probably won't want anyone else on it. However, you could play the sob story of how much you always enjoyed the property and how much you'll miss it, perhaps they will consider allowing your to continue to hunt the property? If all else fails you should atleast exchange phone numbers and tell the new landowner that you'd be willing to help them in ANY way with their new property. Once you get the door open you may haveanother chance to hunt the tract in the future. Good luck
Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

sad to say but the way things are now-a days the new landowner might look at ya an say house's are gonna be built in about 2 months.. i jus lost 1800 acres of huntin land.. guy bought it which he alreay had TONS of money nows the plans are all drawn up an ready to go on bunch of houses.... the rich jus gettin a lil richer
Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 AM

i would do it in person