Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Do We Know?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How Do We Know?

On a previous post I asked a question about vehicle/ATV odors and how to overcome by dressing in the field. I want to say thanks for all the responses but I have one more question. How do you know how much these odors offend deer in your area? I realize the odors are foreign to a degree. But how much do these odors bother deer as compared to pure body funk? LOL

Thanks, LT
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Default RE: How Do We Know?

Well, let me put it this way. Two years ago I returned to my stand after a huge lunch. Naturally I had to use the bathroom. So, as I have always done, I walk approx. 100 yards away from my stand, go the the bathroom in a self made hole, then I cover with dirt, spray with cover scent and walk back to my stand. 30 minutes later I had a nice sized buck walking up towards me only to catch my...um...scent from the hole (if you catch my drift). Did he run? Heck no, he walked right over to the hole and milled around for about 15 minutes.

Another one of my buddies is an avid smoker. He smokes while on stand and it has not hurt his chances in the past 10 years or so.

The lesson of the stories is, some foreign odors can actually peak the interest of the deer when the deerare not under any pressure.

Always be conscience of your surroundings but do be obsessed with your scent.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

deer dont naturally associate human scent with danger. UNLESS they are pressured deer. but you dont know what scents certain deer may or may not associate with danger. pretty much pressured deer will associate most ANY scent that is foreign with danger. depends on the deer and how much scent they get. i chew and spit right down to the ground where i remove the leaves(so it dont hit leaves and make noise) i wizz into the same spot from my stand. ive yet to have deer care about those scents...i think because they arent 100% foreign..and in the case of chew it isnt associated with danger..

we will never know the answers till we can talk to deer. we need a " deer whisperer" like the dog whisperers that talk to dogs lol...

its always a safe bet to smell like absolutely nothing..me spitting and wizzing could potentially get my busted sooner or later...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:00 AM

depends on deer to deer
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Another one of my buddies is an avid smoker. He smokes while on stand and it has not hurt his chances in the past 10 years or so.
He might claim this, but if he has been smoking in the stand for 10 years, there has had to be times when he has spooked deer...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think farm deer would be more tolerable thanbig woods deer.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pigiron

I think farm deer would be more tolerable thanbig woods deer.
Agreed. It depends on the area you hunt. In Farmlands, gas, oil, smoke, exhaust, are probably for lack of a better term "ignored". Even sounds orATV usage are probably overlooked somewhat by the deer in these areas. It depends what's normal types activity.
One of my favorite spots is on the back side of a developement..I can hear and see kids playing (they are several hundred yards away, for those of you thinking safety) Lawnmowers, blowers etc. There is even an old railroad bed that sees it's share of fitness walkers. I've seen deer, watch the walkers, walk by..they notice them and watch them but they don't spook, once the walkers are gone the deerresume doing what they were doing. In this type of area even human smell is part of the deers day.

I am a firm believer that a deers home-range is a major indicator of what you can and can't get away with.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believea deers tolerance to certain odors varies from one area to another, for sure.I don't really agree with the thinking that farm deer are more tolerant than others though. I was hunting in the Edmonton Bow Zone, 1600 square miles of mostly farmland,where there is vertually no pressure at all, and had deer snort at me in my stand while it wasstill dark,that were 200yrds away across a field. I couldn't believe it! These deer onlysee an ocasional farmerand that's about it,but they're still very touchy.[:@]
Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

I believea deers tolerance to certain odors varies from one area to another, for sure.I don't really agree with the thinking that farm deer are more tolerant than others though. I was hunting in the Edmonton Bow Zone, 1600 square miles of mostly farmland,where there is vertually no pressure at all, and had deer snort at me in my stand while it wasstill dark,that were 200yrds away across a field. I couldn't believe it! These deer onlysee an ocasional farmerand that's about it,but they're still very touchy.[:@]
In my response I was aiming more at active, working farms..where folks are working virtually everyday..plowing, planting, harvesting, fixing posts, turning over the back 40..etc etc
Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Bob, these are "working" farms as well but on a HUGE scale.I get the gist of what you're saying though, there isn't much human activity on these farms over all, hence thier jumpyness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.