Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can someone post the mineral "recipe"?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Can someone post the mineral "recipe"?

Someone posted a recipe for mixing up 200#'s of minerals to be used for deer. I don't have a copy of it.

If someone knows of this recipe.....could you re-post it?

Thanks, so much.

On a side note.....I got over 1K trail cam photos of the herd I hunt on my one mineral site, alone. It's a GREAT place to get these.....and you don't have to bugger up your hunting areas.

just an FYI.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Can someone post the mineral "recipe"?

i tried it the deer didn't like it had better results with imperial 30/06 but maybe my deer are picky
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM

I agree, I tried a mix I got off here a few years ago, it was 100 lb stock salt, 50 lb trace mineral, and 50 lb di-calcium phosphate. They didnt seem to like it at all. I read somewhere recently that the di-cal phosphate is bitter tasting, and deer dont like it. I agree with TROPHYHUNTER, get some mineral for deer, Ive tried the Trophy Rock, and they weem to like it pretty well.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree, I tried a mix I got off here a few years ago, it was 100 lb stock salt, 50 lb trace mineral, and 50 lb di-calcium phosphate. They didnt seem to like it at all. I read somewhere recently that the di-cal phosphate is bitter tasting, and deer dont like it. I agree with TROPHYHUNTER, get some mineral for deer, Ive tried the Trophy Rock, and they weem to like it pretty well.
I've got well over 1,000 game cam photos of deer using the above "recipe". Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

NOT MINE JUST A REPOST AS REQUESTED:

1 part Di-Calcium Phosphate 50# bag approx 11$
2 parts Trace Mineral Salt (2) 50# bags approx 5$ ea
1 Part stock salt, ice cream salt 50# bag about 2$
OR
Substitute Dried Molasses

Do not mix portions until ready to use.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can do nothing but sing the praise of WhiteTail Addiction from Wally world for 5$ a gallon pre-mixed. Both my cousin in Wisconsin and I (Ohio) had deer tear up the area it was poured in! We useit for our Game Cams with tremendous success.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

NOT MINE JUST A REPOST AS REQUESTED:

1 part Di-Calcium Phosphate 50# bag approx 11$
2 parts Trace Mineral Salt (2) 50# bags approx 5$ ea
1 Part stock salt, ice cream salt 50# bag about 2$
OR
Substitute Dried Molasses

Do not mix portions until ready to use.
This is the correct recipe.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

It makes 200#'s and I think I spent $27 dollars at Tractor Supply for the ingredients.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never put out minerals before, but after extensive reading on the subject and hearing your testimonials, i think that at worst, it can hurt me. Who knows, it might put on some body size and antler mass or atleast i should get some quality pictures over the site. I heave heard the benefits oflicks, but i havent head the details in how to set up a site properly. First, i take it you just mix everything together and dig a small hole and mix it into the ground? Is this true? Do you need to put water on it to melt it or just let the rain take care of it. Also how much mix do you put ina location? All 200# or just a bucket full? Where do you guys set up your mineral lick locations? Anywhere in the woods or are there particular locations that work better than others? How long does it normally take the deer to hit these locations? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I've also read that the does utilize the minerals to help them lactate.

You're right on the hole. Mine is about 3'x3' and about 8" deep (when I started). No water needed. The rain will take care of it.

I put about 3 gallons out at the beginning......and keep it replenished every couple of months.....about 1-2 gals at a time.

I put mine in a small field that's in the middle of the woods. I know they feel safe, there.....and their photos have them seemingly at ease.

I had deer on my minerals the second night I put them out.

Ihope this helps.

Quick Reply: Can someone post the mineral "recipe"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.