Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can someone post the mineral "recipe"?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can someone post the mineral "recipe"?

Jeff, thanks for the input. I have the perfect spot for it i think. I will be putting it out this weekend. One more question. How long will the deer hit the lick? Im guessing that they use it upto and through the summer but then stop using it once their antlers have hardened. Do you hunt near these licks? From what you have seen, would you recommend putting one near a stand that i have, i dont mean hunting over it, but the spot im thinking is about 50 yards from one of my stands.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

nj:

"I" don't hunt near it.....often (maybe 2-3 times last season I was within 100 yds. of this site). I 'have"...but it's legal in NC to hunt near this (although that's not the reason I chose to hunt, there). By the time the season rolls around....they're off the minerals (for the MOST part....at least in these parts).

I'm also in there checking my trail cam about once every 2 weeks. I wouldn't go in where I expect to find a mature deer ANYWHERE that often. I placed mine where I did.....on a "whim", quite honestly.....and the aforementioned strategy played ITSELF out, in my instance. I simply didn't know I was doing the right thing....it just worked out that way. Knowing what I do, NOW, I'd have probably moved this site down the field another 40-50 yds.

I have read that it doesn't hurt to replenish these sites as much as 6x a yr. I probably do it 4x/yr.

Again....I hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks jeff for the input, cant wait to give it a shot and see how it works.