Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you use a rangefinder?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do you use a rangefinder?

I have 14 treestands on my little 120 acre patch and don't get to hunt all of them in the same year most of the time, so when I sit in a stand I usually don't remember how far everything is, so it helps me to just reassure myself a bit with the rangefinder.
RJ:

But if you DID know what 30 yds was in all of those stands....would you still feel the need to take it?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have 14 treestands on my little 120 acre patch and don't get to hunt all of them in the same year most of the time, so when I sit in a stand I usually don't remember how far everything is, so it helps me to just reassure myself a bit with the rangefinder.
RJ:

But if you DID know what 30 yds was in all of those stands....would you still feel the need to take it?
Yes, because I will take 50 yard shots out of a couple of those stands under the perfect situation. I edited my response a bit after you quoted me to explain a bit more but my thoughts are for those long shots if I don't have the time to take out the rangefinder and click I don't have business shooting over 35 yards. There are situations though that a click with the rangefinder, good footing, enough time to collect myself, and an unalert animal will have me shooting out to 50. A rangefinder is a $200 insurance policy to me that I will never wound a deer due to picking a bad number, and I feel that if I am going to shoot those distances I owe it to the animal to take that time and spend the $200 to get accurate distances.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Well said, buddy.......well said.

Respect!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM

I have maybe 7- 10 stands set up each year and use a climber on some occasions. I use a rangefinder to check distance initially.....to that big oak, to the blow down , to the trail. All reference points around me.I do this when it gets light enough the first couple times in a given stand.
I hunt ALL woods stands.
This way I know the 30yrd and in points.
I have never used it on an approaching deer within those points.

First, I don't want to make any extra movement.
Second, I have enough to think about and don't need to be worrying about banging the rangefinder off the stand or something.

I like the verification aspect of a rangefinder. Things look different from every stand. I might be on a hillside or a flat or a different height.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt ALL woods stands.
This way I know the 30yrd and in points.
I have never used it on an approaching deer within those points.

First, I don't want to make any extra movement.
Second, I have enough to think about and don't need to be worrying about banging the rangefinder off the stand or something.
Which is EXACTLY why I don't use one that much, anymore.

It's extra movement. And I NEVER remember being able to get a range on an animal where I actually SHOT.

Now Rob keeps one on a strap around his neck (where most of us keep our binos). he keeps the binos on his side. THAT is a good set-up.

I want to thank everyone participating, so far. There ARE no wrong answers. ALL valid points, so far. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 AM

i use one when hunting new areas
Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It's extra movement.

From a previous post

original:GMMAT The bucks, with the exception of the old guy, weren’t exactly chasing……but it looked like that might happen, soon. I actually decided I’d take the 8 pointer…..and came to full draw…..only to have him turn and face me…..until I couldn’t hold it any longer and let down. He was looking at me…..didn’t bust me…..and I guess we can chalk another enigma camo moment up. So far, so good.
Movement shouldn't be an issue with your camo, correct?
[/align]

Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

You left out EXTRA!!...lol

I HAVE to draw my bow....I DON'T HAVE to range him.

BTW...I don't remember that post, at all. Was that the day I had all the little guys fighting around me?

Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use my rangefinder for the reasons everyone has stated above. I generally don't shoot past 30 for deer, but if the right opportunity presented itself I could. This year I took my best buck thus far at 32 yards. I knew before the shot that the deer was at 32 yards because I had earlier ranged the blowdown he was standing next to when I shot. Because of this I was able to simply aim and shoot. I'm also a bit anal and when I pick a spot on a deer (something everyone should do) I want to hit that spot. You can't do that if you are guessing distances. It's just a little bit of extra confidence, and as Rick James said if the right opportunity presents itself for a longer shot, I know I can find the exact distance.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

just to clarify my stats...I have missed my share of deer, several when 1st starting out.

I over the past 11 seasons I went on a streak of 26 straight kills without a miss or wound. I clean missed shot number 27 on a doe @ 15 yds. Only 1 shot of those 26 was over 20 yds, most were 6-13 yds. For my hunting, I don't need a rangefinder.

Quick Reply: Why do you use a rangefinder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.