Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you use a rangefinder?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why do you use a rangefinder?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Buckeye:

I do not understand how this information (Rybos or mine)pertains to why one should or should not carry a rangefinder though? Please explain.
If you'll go back and re-read my initial response to Rybo's post. It'll make sense to you (it's just a lot of extra writing...and that reply says whatI wanted to).

C-Woods:

i hunt in the same general areas a LOT. I might switch trees and move 20-30 yds....but I know the areas well. From my golf days....i could tell youevery shot I hit on every hole......the club.....thedistance....and the outcome. From my baseball days as a catcher....I could re-count every pitch to every batter....and what the outcome was. I don't have a problemremembering yardages in the areas I hunt afer I've ranged them, once. I just don't care to carry the rangefinder with me, anymore.I don't see the need.

If you guys who carry one already knew the yardages in your area(s).....would you still take one? That's ALL I've been saying.

And for the record.....I think EVERY, responsible deer hunter should either own one.....or have a GREAT IDEA (Rybo and others) of what their effective OR their CHOSEN kill range is. I've simply used mine enough in KNOWN areas.....that I don't feel the need, anymore. New areas = rangefinder in my pocket.

I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to take one....or that they're not a good tool to utilize. They are. Let me make that clear.

I honestly wrote the thread thinking some guys ranged ANIMALS with them prior to the shot. I just don't see the feasibility of this practice for MY applications. Knowing your distances in your hunting spots is CRUCIAL, though.

And......a 2" margin for error.....at 30 yds....I won't apologize for. I'd be proud to pull that off EVERY TIME.
Like you, I can recall distances and details ask me where my 29th stroke was on my last 18 holes and I can tell you the specifics. But, be that as it may, it holds little bearing to hunting. You know the distance to the tree, unless that deer is gonna knock that tree down and stand in it's exact spot it does you little good. Suppose the deer is a 2 yards behind the tree and quartering away..so the vitals are 3 yards behind the tree. Now since he isn't exactly at the tree..you guess he is 2 yards in front of the treeor 28 yards you are 5 yards off. So you say you only shoot XX distance. If that distance is 30 yards your stretching your limit 3 yards. 5 yards at that distance will change your impact!

Your set on not carrying that 6 oz range finder..Fine. You made your point! Your point may seem silly next year if you make a silly miss or worse.

I don't just range trees I range the animal before I shoot. That's why I carry mine.

Is there anymore detail that can be added to this 11 page post in response to a simple question? You keep defending your position. If you know it's the proper stance why are you belaboring the point?

It's OK if you just want to say " You Know guys you made a strong point, I will carry my rangefinder with me now!". "Thanks for your input."
Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

GR8:

It's OK if you just want to say " You Know guys you made a strong point, I will carry my rangefinder with me now!". "Thanks for your input."
I think I DID!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

GREAT!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

And you wonder why
Old 04-29-2007, 01:06 PM

To make sure i know the distance of the shot,to mark landmarks around me etc...