Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Range goals......

Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Long Range goals......

Original GMMAT
I got absolutely berated by a fellow forum member for stating that I had a season many would love to claim. It's got NOTHING to do with numbers of deer taken (why I made that statement). It's got everything to do with meeting one's goals.
Does will fall to all of us, in numbers, though. Our biologist thinks I could take as many as 18 off these properties without affecting deer sightings, too much.
As a newbie to this board, (but not to bowhunting or message boards in general) Iknow the role of the newbie is to gradually work his way into the flow of things and let people get to know you so to speak and leave the heavy stuff to the veterans. But I guess I'll take the bait.

I thought we were done on this topic. But I guess some people feel as though they always have to have the last word.

So was your goal 18 or 8? Whatever it is (was), does the end justify the means? In other words, from your perspective,how many nonrecovered deer would it take in order to tarnish or blemishthe goal even though it may have technically been achieved?

I don't say this to be mean spirited. But you brought it back up, not I. Non recovered or late recovered deer are part of bowhunting and for that matter hunting in general. If you bowhunt long enough, it will probably happen to most of us sometime or another.

My first and foremost goal each year is to recover 100% of the deer that I shoot regardless of whatever else I may accomplish. I think it is a worthwhile goal, and if not achieved, the rest of my goal accomplishments are secondary if not nullified altogether. But that just me the newbie.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Site Buck Guru

My long range goal is to shoot 2 B&C deer.1 typical and 1 non-typical. I am prepared to try for the rest of my life. Even if I don't succeed I will be satisfied knowing that I tried.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Dominant Buck

So was your goal 18 or 8? Whatever it is (was), does the end justify the means? In other words, from your perspective,how many nonrecovered deer would it take in order to tarnish or blemishthe goal even though it may have technically been achieved?

I don't say this to be mean spirited. But you brought it back up, not I. Non recovered or late recovered deer are part of bowhunting and for that matter hunting in general. If you bowhunt long enough, it will probably happen to most of us sometime or another.

My first and foremost goal each year is to recover 100% of the deer that I shoot regardless of whatever else I may accomplish. I think it is a worthwhile goal, and if not achieved, the rest of my goal accomplishments are secondary if not nullified altogether. But that just me the newbie.
For a newbie...you sure did your research.

My goal was 18, initially. The farmer to my South got a depredation permit and took 10 with it. So....we re-evaluated and settled on 8. Does the end justify the means? I'm not sure of how to answer such a question. After a blemish....do we just quit? Is my season "nullified" because I have one unanswered question?

That's a tough standard. Kudos to you and anyone else who lives up to that. I'm impressed. My season was not without a blemish....but yes....I see my overall season as a success. I met my mgmt. goal.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

My long range goal is to shoot 2 B&C deer.1 typical and 1 non-typical. I am prepared to try for the rest of my life. Even if I don't succeed I will be satisfied knowing that I tried.
Look Dude we're talking your long term goals here,you just might want to raise the barmaybe a tad.

NAGMP.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

That would be a great hunt... maybe the RJ crew needs to plan a trip? August or late JULY right?
Troy, you KNOW I would love to go on this trip with you. I would schedule my guided bear hunts a little later in order to do it.........you got my wheels turning!!!!