Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Range goals......

Old 12-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Default RE: Long Range goals......

My long term goals really don't have much to do with killing animals.

I want to continue to push myself harder and farther every year. I want to learn more about myself not only as a hunter,but as an individual.

Next fall I have three "hardcore" hunts lined up. I'll be backpacking with a friend of mine from workinto the Oregon wilderness for elk. I've got a hunt planned with my dad on the Washington/Canada border for spot-and-stalk mulies. After all of that I'll likely be backpacking into Idaho for mulies, and depending on the availability of tags, elk.

Whitetail hunting is definitely a blast, but it isn't my favorite type of hunting. I learn more about myself as a person and as a hunter when I'm miles back in the wilderness with my camp on my back.

I didn't have the opportunity to do any of this type of hunting this fall, and I feel I really missed out. The stories from some of my friends left me with a real strong desire to get out there with them again this year.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every year my goal is to shoot a P@Y class whitetail! My long term goal is to keep letting these little guys go by but at the same time if i see a little rack on a mature deer he will get the shaft as well to get him out of the mix! My brother and i have practiced these tactics for years and i think this year its finally starting to show itself a little. It does make it hard though when your fellow neighbors don't do the same and they still complain theres no biggy's around! It don't take much to figure that one out!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my new long term goals will definately involve a long bow after shooting my cousins this weekend...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

One of my new long term goals will definately involve a long bow after shooting my cousins this weekend...
I believe this may be one of my long term goals as well.

As far as the rest....I have never really sat down and thought about my long term goals. As I have been discussing with Joey (kshunter) today, I want to do a float hunt in Alaska within the next few years.

Other than that, no idea as for deer.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

That a boy! Its an all new world and way of hunting compaired to using a compound! You will like it.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I can see one thing forsure Shultzy.. I am gonna need to practice A LOT! just to be good out to 20 yards.. I really like how light, clean and simple a long bow is.. wow I loved shooting it.. My cousin couldnt get me to put it away.. I was out in the snow and blowing wind.. for a good hour.. loved it!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I believe this may be one of my long term goals as well.

As far as the rest....I have never really sat down and thought about my long term goals. As I have been discussing with Joey (kshunter) today, I want to do a float hunt in Alaska within the next few years.

Other than that, no idea as for deer.
Float hunt In AK..sounds really cool Dan... Moose? Bear? bou?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM

I'm thinking about Caribou. I havea huge desire to shoot a Mountain 'bou.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a well managed club of 5400 acres nothing under a 6 point is allowed for now working on getting up to 8 points but we have 70 members and nly 20 of us bow hunt for themost part everyone wines about the management and noone likes to come out on work days clearing fields for plots (which no hunting is allowed ) near plots , any ways we have similar goals but my main one is to teach my son the game of hunting and hopefully he will pick up where I leave off I was taught to give back to the game you hunt and always respect it , its not about the kill its the hunt and peace of mind one can get from the outdoors ... yall take care and good luck to all

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a great hunt... maybe the RJ crew needs to plan a trip? August or late JULY right?

Quick Reply: Long Range goals......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.