Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which should i buy first?

Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which should i buy first?

well were in the process of buying a second home (lake house)and after the down payment money is tight this year and i was wondering what you would buy first? A camcorder or range finder. I have a digital camera now so i can get buy with it but i would love to film my hunts. I havent takin adeer fromover 20 yards and i shoot a 1 pin sight so i dont need to have a range finder but i would i know i will be in a stand this year recording a monster at 43 yards and wishing i had that rangefinder.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Which should i buy first?

Camcorder. Memories are what it's all about....You can guess close enough I would imagine...
Old 04-17-2007, 04:02 AM

camcorder
Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rangefinders are over rated, unless you are into taking real far shots. Then they are quite important. A cam corder is a luxury, but a sweet one at that.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say the camcorder would have more overall uses, but having a range finder sure comes in handy sometimes. If I were you, having kids and all, I would go with the camcorder first.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking to dump some more serious coin, it will be better spent on the camcorder. Rangefinders do the same thing, regardless of price. I know some will probably disagree on this, but its true. With the camera, you'll be able to get some awesome footage of your hunts, and with the cameras today, more $$ means better footage.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I have found that (right or wrong).....I take my rangefinder to the field less and less. I hunt woods.....and a shot of over 30 yds is not only unlikely......it's out of my comfort range. Either way.....way from an elevated platform....it's a top-pin shot with my set-up.

If I hunted open terrain.....I'd opt for the rangefinder. If not.....I'd go with the video camera.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm honestly shocked to hear folks NOT suggest the rangefinder and then to hear that they are "over rated",.... now there's a 15 yard shooter!

I consider a rangefinder one of THE most important pieces of hunting equipment that I own! Who cares much about the camcorder. I have always been told by some of the best trophy hunters that you can either HUNT or video but don't try to do both! I've taken that advice very seriously and I believe it has certainly served me well. Good luck and good shootin', whatever you decide.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Spike

CAMCORDER!!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

A range finder is pretty much useless for archery hunting. If you practice alot from different yardages it is very easy to guess the range your target is at within your comfort range of an archey shot. I shoot out to 60 yards evrytime I am out and feel comfortable with a 40 yard shot and feel comfortable in ranging them out to 40 yards as well. The camera can be used with many other activities. Get the camera.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.