Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which should i buy first?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Which should i buy first?

A range finder is pretty much useless for archery hunting
I would have to disagree. Depending where u hunt, out of a stand,with asteep grade or in some darker canopied woods, there is a strong possibility of misjudging distances. I got a Leupold III, which has the true distance of angle shooting to compensate for those reasons. You also then have the benefit of using it out West, where distances are very misleading. The camcorder is nice, but the range finder will assist you getting your prey.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

camcorder I started tapeing deer this year taped two deer shot. Rangerfinder can be done without. getting deer on video will allow you to watch it over again for years.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand that some hunters don't need or use a rangefinder but his question is which should he buy first. I just don't see how a camcorder is going to help him be a better hunter. A rangefinder can definitely help him be a better hunter by using it to practice eyeballing ranges to targets and verifying, by verifying distances to spots from his tree stand, and more. I don't see where a camcorder does squat to help someone be a better hunter. I suppose if he used it to tape his shooting form and look for inconsistancies but if he buys anything first to help his hunting I just don't see how it can be a camcorder.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: in da woods

A range finder is pretty much useless for archery hunting
I would have to disagree. Depending where u hunt, out of a stand,with asteep grade or in some darker canopied woods, there is a strong possibility of misjudging distances. I got a Leupold III, which has the true distance of angle shooting to compensate for those reasons. You also then have the benefit of using it out West, where distances are very misleading. The camcorder is nice, but the range finder will assist you getting your prey.
yeah I agree here. I think that if you never think you'll go hunt anywhere else and you'll never take a long range shot then get the camcorder. I use mine all the time in the field while i'm bowhunting.