Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are hunters selfish??

Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Are hunters selfish??

I see lots of stuff on the boards that makes me feel this way sometimes..........and a chat with a guy at the hunting club last week made me think about it even more. Here are some examples of what I mean.

Whenever a thread shows up of a dead one someone found it is always filled with comments like "What a shame"......or "Too bad a car hit him and not a hunter"........I never understood that. Why is it a "shame" because he died on the road........but it's not a "shame" when we kill him??.........the deer is dead either way so he ain't any happier with either scenerio. Just seems selfish to think the ending of a life is a "waste" unless we got to end it on our terms.

I hear many guys say they have tons of land to hunt and many many stands as well...........so much so that many stands don't even get hunted in a given season.........yet how often do we hear about those people offering any of those spots to other hunters?? This is the conversation I had the other day.........with a guy who said he didn't even hunt 13 of his stands last year, I asked him why he didn't let someone else hunt from them a couple times especially if they weren't so fortunate as to have as many options..............his answer was F-That!!!....no one's killing a buck out of my stands but me. With all the talk recently about not wanting to share hunting land with even 1 other person I just wonder how selfish our sport is becoming.

How about the stories that we hear about never telling anyone what you see or about a good buck and so on out of fear that your spot will turn into grand central station the next day..........I get that (to a point) but I wonder how much of that is really just a selfish desire to keep something for yourself and not wanting anyone else to have similar success.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are hunters selfish??

Whenever a thread shows up of a dead one someone found it is always filled with comments like "What a shame"......or "Too bad a car hit him and not a hunter"........I never understood that. Why is it a "shame" because he died on the road........but it's not a "shame" when we kill him??.........the deer is dead either way so he ain't any happier with either scenerio. Just seems selfish to think the ending of a life is a "waste" unless we got to end it on our terms.
The animal would be used as table fare and memories of an awesome hunt. Road kill is just a total waste of the animal.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

The animal would be used as table fare and memories of an awesome hunt. Road kill is just a total waste of the animal.

I agree on the meat point 100%...........however, I think you would agree that the comments are VERY RARELY about the meat.

The "memories" part falls right into what I am saying..........when I see a roadkilled animal I feel bad for the animal........not for myself because I didn't get to kill him.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:46 PM

Some people are absolutely selfish--like my uncle who won't let me hunt at his hunting spot (which he doesn't own) because he knows that I might shoot a big one there. Also, people who shoot tons of deer and don't even eat all the meat.

Everyone gets so competetive in this sport because they all want to be the best. That's what's ruining the sport. It's a competition for everyone.

I could go on all day...
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very interesting topic.

Regarding point 1...I feel that a deer getting hit by a car is a shame. Getting eaten by natural predators or killed by a hunter isn't. I don;t know why I feel that way but I do. I hate seeing deer get hit by cars. personally I think if people weren't morons and knew how to drive, they'd avoid many deeer, but that is a whole nother topic.

Regarding the other points, I really don't see it as selfish. Does anyone here share thier wife? I guess some people are into that,[8D] but normally that is not the case. Many guys have invested a lot of time and effort to get those spots and may need them in years to come as other places they have disappear. In some cases, gaining permission is contingent on bringing NO ONE else to the property.

Again with not telling others about bucks seen/taken, its just self preservation of allowing yourself an enjoyable hunt. No one wants thier spots ruined, by it being grand central station. And sadly, guys have to be that way because of others inconsideration to overrun someones spots. It happens all the time. It would be great to be able to tell guys where you hunt and still have it be good2-3 years down the road, but sometimes it is just like opening the flood gates. It's not about NOT wanting others to have success, its about keeping a place where one has a chance at success.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I rather look at the positive side of hunters like all the meat that is donated for whatever reason motavated them to do so. I tend to look for positives instead of negatives but you pose a good question just the same.
Your 1st question I feel has a lot of merit in your thinking with the answer you posed forbuckeyebuckntr's reply.
The 2nd part of your question is pure selfishness. I see maturity happeningafter years of hunting where hunters would rather have someone else make a harvest other than themself and will go to great efforts totry and make that happen. Maybe this guy just hasn't killed enough yet.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing goes to waste in the wild.A road-killed deer will feed alot of critters for awhile
Old 04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

it is a waste.. period.. wouldnt you rather take the buck instead of it getting hit? i would but maybe thats just me. I would rather get the animal.. mount it.. be able to say i bagged him.. and save the person some $ on their car, besides if he was gonna die either way whats itmatter?Also about not letting people use your stand.. well they are your to do as you please, you found them and set them up ( more than likley ) so why shouldnt you do what you please with them.. and if i had someone shoot a large deer off my land i would be happy for them but i would rather it be me ... unless it was a CLOSE friend or relative.. either way though.. i do let people hunt my spots.. and i am carried hunting alot to and allowed to hunt other peoples spots... i prolly dont sound too bright and im not trien to piss anyone off but thats how i feel
Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

A road kill does make alot of people feel bad includeing myself because it realy aint natural for a wild animal to die that way, but by being hunted whether or not it is a human hunting them or wolves or whatever predator that is natural. As far as someone else hunting these stands maybe some family members yes but a total stranger no, because I put alot of time into my hunting spots and I don't want them wrecked by someone stinking or urineateing or smokeing or whatever to cause the spots to go bad!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I read was the title of this thread, and my answer will be a simple "Yes, hunter's are extremely selfish. Not every single one of them, but as a whole we are."

Lock the thread.

Oh, wait.....

Quick Reply: Are hunters selfish??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.