Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much land to hunt???

Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Too much land to hunt???

hey hardcorehunter,

I am not that far away to the west of you and I could deffinitly be a solution to this terrible problem that you and your wife are having. I always enjoy helping people out when they need it most!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Much like last season, at this exact moment I have 0 acres of land to hunt.............................................. ............................... this is why I hate hunting..
Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I know what you are saying, but I don't think anyone can have too much land available to hunt, because things can and do happen that are not in our control. I've had land change owners(new owners hunted along with their relatives), had to start sharing land with other hunters, etc. I lost one 270 tract of riverbottom ground in particular within the last two years because a timber company has either shut hunting off or is leasing it.......I can't find out locally and they have yet to reply to letters I have sent. I've got 1,100 acres of public land only 10 minutes from me, but I hunt it little these days due to overcrowding.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I do in NY. Consequently, a lot of land will go unexplored this year. I'm going to rely on early and late afternoon glassing to do most of my preliminary scouting. Then I'll try to nail down a few deer, hang some stands for different wind conditions and give it a whirl. Some are close, some are further. All hold more deer than I'll have tags for. I'll get real intimate with the ones around the house and less so with those further out. Yup, too much land, too few tags and not enough time.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have well over 1500 acres of private to hunt. Most of is mine exclusively. I would say about 100 acres of it. A couple of farms I have never been on. I almost prefer to hunt the big (and I mean big) woods which is all public. My private farms I treat the land owner right, and have never been booted from anywhere. A bottle of whisky or a steak dinner will get you a long way. I got rights to 1 farm over 20 years ago just by helping the old boy pick rock, which he even wanted to pay me for. There is more to getting permision than beating on a door a week before season.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iowa is one of the last states you will have that problem in! Unfortanately, that will be changing in the future as well!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion on the east coast its easier to get huntin land than anywhere in the country, all ya gotta do is find some multi-million dollar community withthere prim and proper lawns and there 35,000 dollar landscaping bill a year and maybe you'll find that one homeowner that is tired of blownin money on her favorite baby japanese maple and her 900 dollar egypsian pear tree and then you tell them that your a silent hunter and you can releave her of her terrible deer problem and then at the community meeting the next year she tells all her friends and then it happens!!!!

You are now stuck with hundreds of places to hunt and not enough time and not enough friends to even make a dent in the herds.

All you got to do is take a drive and findthe deer in the wrong yard in the right neighborhood....
Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

You are now stuck with hundreds of places to hunt and not enough time and not enough friends to even make a dent in the herds.

All you got to do is take a drive and findthe deer in the wrong yard in the right neighborhood....
True, but that's not the kind of hunting I like to do so I'll pass. LOL I just like to walk into a woods and know it's woods for a long ways. That's my kind of hunting, not sitting on someones patio.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Too much land to hunt? What, pray tell, is that??
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 775 acres in west central illinois to hunt. I was lucky enough for my father to get together with 4 other guys and buy it about 15 years ago. It is loaded with big bucks and a healthy population of turkeys also. I have a couple of other places I can hunt but usualy just hunt the one property because I know it well and have shot several Pope and Young class deer off of it.

Quick Reply: Too much land to hunt???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.