Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Proposal..please read

Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Hunting Proposal..please read

My buddy and I are going to go door to door looking for places to hunt. Instead of going with nothing, Ihave typed this letterto distribute to the landowners for permission to hunt their land. If yall would, would yall please read over it and critique anything you may see wrong, misleading, or that could be added; however I dont want to make it too long. And please add any other helpful ideas/tactics to goaboutgetting permission.
Thank you

As current students at the University of Delaware, we are privileged to attend a school surrounded by many parcels of land that is filled with an abundance of wildlife. We are avid outdoorsmen who take great pride and have much respect for the outdoors. Our greatest privilege with the outdoors is having the opportunity to hunt, ethically. We take a serious approach toward our ethical hunting style.
Using a compound bow is a substantial challenge in hunting. It acquires great confidence, skill, practice, and knowledge to become a successful bowhunter; however, our idea of success is not measured by the killing of an animal, but enjoying the great lands that have enabled us to engage ourselves in these memorable experiences. Unlike firearms, bowhunting takes a strategic approach that gives the targeted animal species a fair chance of survival.
Because our hunting style does not depend on illegal trespassing or poaching, it is our pleasure to ask permission to hunt land that is not our own. We would be extremely grateful to hunt your land. It is tremendously important that the land owner, operator, or manager is informed that they would not hold any responsibility for liabilities. We accept full responsibility. It is equally important to inform you that our decisions and actions would be followed strictly by the guidelines enforced.
In return, we would be delighted to process, supply, and provide you enough meat to satisfy your wants from the wildlife taken from your property. It would be an honor to hunt your land; therefore, it would be our pleasure to meet your standards and criteria.

Sincerely,
my name and phone #

Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 AM

Default RE: Hunting Proposal..please read

I'd lose the word "killing", instead use taking or harvesting when talking about getting your deer. Otherwise thats not too bad. The other things I would suggest is to touch only briefly about the liability thing, my reason being is that you and your buddy are younger guys and if you have an older farmer he may read that liability thing and think "trouble maker", even though you may not be. Also, I don't know what kind of outdoor experience you guys have, but if you were eer involved in Scouting, you might want to mention it. Most people look better at us youngins' when you say "oh ya and I'm an Eagle Scout too" (I am so I can say it ) Good luck on gettin some land!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like it.

But here is my advice. Try to get an answer face to face. If you get a no,ask them to please reconsider and work in your letter for them to have. It's always harder for someone to say no to anothers face then it is over the phone or such.

I would also work in other things that you could do for them besides giving them meat (they may not want it, a lot of people don't). Things like painting, welding, etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 AM

BobCo is right on that. Always ask face to face, and try to offer something more. ME and my Pops had to help pluck chickens one season so we could hunt at the farm we did. Crappy work, but worth it!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 AM

good advice, thank you. It is well appreciated
Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM

That's what we're here for, and we have all done this same kind of thing.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was out there looking for land to hunt on,I'd make out a resume' and include things like home address and ph. #,vehicle description and plate #,photocopy of hunting lic and driver's lic.,sportsman's clubs and organizations I belonged to,etc.It got me on alot of choice properties

Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

As current students at the University of Delaware, we are privileged to attend a school surrounded by many parcels of land that is filled with an abundance of wildlife. We are avid outdoorsmen who take great pride in and have much respect for the outdoors. Our greatest privilege with the outdoors is having the opportunity to hunt ethically, and rest assured, we take a serious approach toward our ethical hunting style.
Using a compound bow is asignificant challenge in hunting. Itrequires great confidence, skill, practice, and knowledge to become a successful bowhunter; however, our idea of success is not measured by theharvesting of an animal, but enjoying the great lands that have enabled us to engage ourselves in these memorable experiences. Bowhunting takes a strategic approach that gives the targeted animal species a fair chance of survival.

Because our hunting style does notcondone or tolerateillegal trespassing or poaching, it is our pleasure to ask permission to hunt land that is not our own. We would be extremely gratefulif you would allow ustohunt your land. It is tremendously important that the land owner, operator, or manager is informed that they would not be held in any responsible for liabilities. We accept full responsibility. It is equally important to us that you know any guidelines or restrictions you set forth will be strictly adhered to.In return for this permission, we would be delighted to process, supply, and provide you enough meat to satisfy your wants from the wildlife taken from your property. It would be an honor to hunt your land, and consequently, it would be our pleasure to meet your standards and any criteria that you may have..

Sincerely,
my name and phone #
Not bad at all. If you do decide to use this, I made some changes in blue in the above quote for you to consider. I took out the phrase "unlike firearms", because you have no idea how many of these folks might be on the other side of the political fence. Aside from some other grammatical changes, I changed "killing" to "harvesting".
I've done a lot of proof-reading and editing in my 24 years in Navy Administration.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM

thank you so much. I certainly was not expecting all of this little cheif.
Yall are a great help.