Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are some bucks impossible to kill????

Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Are some bucks impossible to kill????

All the "mature bucks" conversations got me thinking and lead to my question, are some bucks impossible to kill? Say that a hunter has permission to hunt a 150 acrepiece of property and that property is surrounded by posted property that sees no hunting. Can there be a buck on that 150 acre piece of property that is impossible to hunt.

The reasoning for this question is because I have heard this comment from numerous hunters, and in some aspects it applies to me. Last season I knew where a big buck was living, the only problem was that the land made this deer practically impossible to hunt. The property was a hillside of the thickest, nastiest brush you can imagine and this brush was entirely surrounded by standing cornfields. There was a very small creek cutting down the hill through the center of the brush that would provide water for the deer to drink, the brush was a bedding area that was literally impossible to bow hunt (you would pretty much have to belly crawl through it) and the standing corn literally surrounded this bedding area so the deer could feed without ever being seen. This is an ideal spot for a mature buck to live, he has everything he needs in one area that allows him to go about his life without being seen.

In my eyes, this buck was unhuntable, he knew that he was entirely safe in this brush as there was no way to get into it and shoot a bow, and if he wanted to feed he could go anywhere in the 100 acres of corn fields that was surrounding him.

What do you guys think, is their such thing as a buck that is impossible to kill?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Are some bucks impossible to kill????

The old saying goes that anything is possible so no I do not believe some bucks are impossible to kill. Improbable maybe because of someone not allowing any hunting.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 PM

I don't know that I would ever say "impossible".........however, what I would say is that you should analyze the situation and allocate your time accordingly...........don't waste it chasing something you have 2 chances (slim and none) of killing. Spend the majority of your time where your chances are better and then pick and choose a few select scenerios that you think would be PERFECT and offer you the BEST chance at that buck even if that BEST chance is still minimal. Peg your "perfect" setup and only hunt that deer when all the chips are in line (wind, time of day, time of season, weather, etc) and give it your best run on those few select chances. This way you don't waste the majority of your time chasing a low percentage long shot...........but you will still feel like you gave it a good run and put in some smart thought out hunts.

Plus if you bag him how sweet will it be to know you beat him with your brains and skill...........instead of just sitting him out.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:58 PM

not entirely impossible, but i have heard that some old bucks are COMPLETELY nocturnal except for maybe two days a year. idk if its true, but it would explain alot. I think if it wasnt for rut, yes some bucks would be impossible to kill simply because they wouldnt be moving during legal hunting hours.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Are some bucks impossible to kill????
I sure hope so.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 AM

i wouldn't say imposible but some are very slim chances
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

To take a quote from one of my favorite movies " if it bleeds, we can kill it."
But to answer your real question. Impossible, no, due to the rut, but way more difficult than what time/luck is warranted to put in, YES!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

During the rut ANYTHING is poissible...
Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

There was a very good article on this very subject in one of the magazines I read a few months ago. I can't remember which one, but I think it was either Deer & Deer Hunting or Bowhunting World. Anyway, the article stated that after a deer reaches a certain age, usually 5.5 to 6.5 years old, it does not engage in the chasing of does during the rut. It will breed maybe 2-3 does per season and does not fight or chase, mostly because at that age it does not have to. In areas that receive any significant hunting pressure these bucks are almost exclusively nocturnal and are definitely nocturnal during hunting season. So, by this line of thoughta buck that fits this description is theoreticallyimpossible to kill...legally, that is.

BM, the buck you are referring too would be very difficult to hunt and kill, but not impossible. If he moves during daylight hours you can get him. You will most likely have to abandon traditional hunting methods (i.e. treestands, or ground blinds) and employ some more unconventional methods. One might be a pit blind very close to a trail that is used in the brush. Another might be a stalk through the corn (if allowed by the landowner). As Atlas said you would have to wait for the perfect conditions, but I think you could get him. And if you did, what a trophy he would be regardless of size.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say yes in the event that the deer roams land that is inaccessible (without breaking the law of course). If you can't get to him or him to you... you can't kill him.

Quick Reply: Are some bucks impossible to kill????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.