Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When did hunting become a job??

Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Default When did hunting become a job??

Okay guys, a few of the posts on here have got me thinking. I know, thats scary Anyways, all this talk about hunting "mature" bucks has got me wondering if some people are turning hunting into a job. Yes, I want to go shoot a huge mature buck, who honestly doesn't, but I also want enjoyment from doing so.
Atlas's post have really hit home with me. I think a point that he is trying to make that has been over looked is that the typical hunter isn't willing to sacrafice his enjoyment during hunting just to shoot a mature buck. All of the talk of hunting books has brought up some things that are honestly hard for me to believe. How could somebody sacrafice their family life just to shoot a book buck? Trying to convince others that quitting your job and moving to a new state just to have a chance at bigger bucks just isn't practical. If this is what you are in to, more power to you, but when does the enjoyment aspect of hunting come in to play? Yeah, I do my scouting, I spend alot of time throughout the year in preparation of hunting season, but I will admit that I refuse to do these things to the point where they become a job. Thats not what I got into hunting for! I started hunting for the enjoyment, plain and simple. When I started hunting I was all about the experience, I didn't care what I shot, a doe, a 1-1/2 year old buck, a button buck, ect... I just cared that I was out there and that I was DEER hunting. Since then, my goals have changed, I chase bigger deer, but I do so while still enjoying myself.

At what point does the pursuit of a "big mature buck" turn from an enjoyable experience into a job?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: When did hunting become a job??

In case you missed it, exactly. Here's what I posted in another thread.

Yes, but you see, you don't have to necessarily shed hunt, hang cameras and all that to kill a big deer. Some scouting in late summer with the binos, scouting during your walks through the woods the year before, and just finding some food sources and bedding will do the same thing. It's not hard work. It's getting out doors. A lot of us do it but really never thought of it as a sacrifice or hard work or any of that. It's just getting out, whether we're hunting turkeys, rabbits, coyotes, partridge or deer. We always look for signs and put them away in our evidence bank. It's really not hard work at all. Stand selection and tactics are what seals the deal, not some hard work schedule. And really, is there any sacrifice to that. I don't think so. Some call it hard work.... some call it playing around. LOL

Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

And oftentimes, it's as simpleofa matter as applying patience... the patience to wait out and pass the smaller bucks and keep hunting knowing that you'll eventually get a crack at a bigger deer. Maybe not the next week, nor the next month. Maybe it'll be next year.

Patience coupled with discipline.

Also remember that mantra is only for those who desire to pursue those more-mature animals; it's certainly not for everyone.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If hunting became a job for me, Id love every minute of it. I spend as much time as I can either hunting or getting ready for hunting season. I am getting married in a month so some of that time has been cut back. I dont have any children so that makes it much easier to spend more time afield. Once I have a family Im sure I will be spending less time afield "alone". My fiance is going to be bowhunting this year, Im sure my kids will hunt also. So, spending time with family while Im hunting. Sure sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the ability to wait for what you want being a mature buck, ansetting there takingin everything else is not a job.I call that enjoyment, peace, an being with family.

The other hand if you are out there to shoot the first deer that you see, or the second, that is closer to being labeled as work becauseyou feel like you need to accomplishsomethingas soon as you can do so. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Okay guys, a few of the posts on here have got me thinking. I know, thats scary Anyways, all this talk about hunting "mature" bucks has got me wondering if some people are turning hunting into a job. Yes, I want to go shoot a huge mature buck, who honestly doesn't, but I also want enjoyment from doing so.
Atlas's post have really hit home with me. I think a point that he is trying to make that has been over looked is that the typical hunter isn't willing to sacrafice his enjoyment during hunting just to shoot a mature buck. All of the talk of hunting books has brought up some things that are honestly hard for me to believe. How could somebody sacrafice their family life just to shoot a book buck? Trying to convince others that quitting your job and moving to a new state just to have a chance at bigger bucks just isn't practical. If this is what you are in to, more power to you, but when does the enjoyment aspect of hunting come in to play? Yeah, I do my scouting, I spend alot of time throughout the year in preparation of hunting season, but I will admit that I refuse to do these things to the point where they become a job. Thats not what I got into hunting for! I started hunting for the enjoyment, plain and simple. When I started hunting I was all about the experience, I didn't care what I shot, a doe, a 1-1/2 year old buck, a button buck, ect... I just cared that I was out there and that I was DEER hunting. Since then, my goals have changed, I chase bigger deer, but I do so while still enjoying myself.

At what point does the pursuit of a "big mature buck" turn from an enjoyable experience into a job?

What about moving to another state so you can hunt big bucks (muley or white tail), bull elk, antelope, bear, sheep, moose, goats, cats, turkey, gophers, prairie dogs, and various other varmints? Who gives a rats a.. how big they are man, do you live to hunt or what????
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM

What a crystal clear example of someone who really "get's it".

Well said.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

It turns into a job when you start to video tape your hunts for $$$, or start an outfitting business. Since when do you care what other people think of what you bring home each fall?? As long as you've got some steaks and summer sausage, a great memory and a rack you consider worth skull or full mounting once ina while... who cares but you man!!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting trophy bucks can be hard work and I find the older I get the lazier I am getting.[&:] To put it this way........hunting trophy bucks in higher pressured areas is much harder than in lesser pressured areas, especially if you do your own scouting, hang stands, enter and leave your areas using the wind, and keeping deer contact to a minimum.

For example when I once had more private land to myself I saw more mature bucks. Now I see fewer in the same places because of sharing with a few other hunters and along with that the occasional trespasser. More hunters = more human/deer contact = more human scent= less encounters with mature bucks.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

It becomes a job when the enjoyment is gone from the hunt itself and sucess is measured in antler inches. The ammount of scouting and preparation is different for all of us. What we arewilling to put our minds and body through for the hunt and still keep it enjoyable is different for all. I personally dont enjoy a hunt unlessI am exhausted both physically and mentally by the end of it. That just happens to be my enjoyment.

Quick Reply: When did hunting become a job??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.