Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When did hunting become a job??

Old 04-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When did hunting become a job??

I would probably qualify as someone who spends "too much time" hunting, scouting, thinking about hunting, planning hunting, etc. I am not just talking whitetails either. However, it is not a job to me. I love doing it. I certainly am not going to be a professional hunter, it is just my #1 and pretty much only hobby.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:24 PM

One mans ceiling is another mans floor ...... um, what some consider work others consider fun.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I would probably qualify as someone who spends "too much time" hunting, scouting, thinking about hunting, planning hunting, etc. I am not just talking whitetails either. However, it is not a job to me. I love doing it. I certainly am not going to be a professional hunter, it is just my #1 and pretty much only hobby.
I could never have said it better!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is only a job if the enjoyment is only tied to the end result of killing a big or mature buck.If every aspect is enjoyed and the killing of a big deer is the icing on the cake than it is not a job.
I am so fascinated and challenged by being better or more effective as a hunter,but not from a sense of pressure,from a perspective of my own enjoyment.I absolutely want to be successful in taking a mature buck but more importantly is the blessing to have the sense of gratitude to be out in the woods doing something I love no matter what the outcome.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

At what point does the pursuit of a "big mature buck" turn from an enjoyable experience into a job?

When a hunter sacrifices his ethics, principals and standards to make a kill because of financial pressures (TV show, video, magazine articles etc etc etc).

Old 04-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make hunting videos. I purposely showed hunters (myself included) NOT killing bucks and eating a tags versus shooting immature deer just to get another "kill" for a video. Not all videos and TV shows are the same!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

I make hunting videos. I purposely showed hunters (myself included) NOT killing bucks and eating a tags versus shooting immature deer just to get another "kill" for a video. Not all videos and TV shows are the same!
You are right Todd! My statement was pretty general in nature. I am also working with a small group on a video production to buck the trend. I think the time is right and the hunting community is ready. Good luck
Old 04-14-2007, 06:03 PM

Some of us hunters have piorities to are families. My first and most important thing when hunting is feeding my family. Not to say if I see a large mature buck and a doe and I have to make a desion on which one. If there is deer in the freezer I would sit and wait to see if I can get a shot at the buck. If no meat in freezer and I have the shot at the doe the family comes first.