Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When did hunting become a job??

Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: When did hunting become a job??

When I started exchanging golf lessons for hunting trips.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:58 AM

it never becomes a job because i love being outdoors, and love the challenge. put the odds in your favor hunt the buck closer to rut. make sure all conditions are right
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know that some people do feel it as a job.

In my case, last year, I spent more hours in the field than ever, and putting it all on film.Some might consider it a job, since it's being made into a video, but I feel it's very far from it. I'm doing something I love to do, spending time with my wife, working as a team to accomplish a goal...a goal to harvest a mature buck. To me, it's work, but it's not a job.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

It’s only a job/complete obsession for those who choose to make it that way. It is certainly possible to pursue “mature” bucks without dumping excessive time, money, and effort into it, and sacrificing family/social life. I hunt because I enjoy it, if it isn’t fun anymore or stresses me out too much I’ll stop.
Granted, as with many things, the more effort you put in the more you get out, BUT one can still hunt for mature bucks even on limited time and resources.
You don’t need trail cams, food plots, go shed hunting all winter, hang stands in may, scout everyday over the summer to kill a mature buck. Hunt smart and you won’t need to spend as much time. Now if the time you spend is enjoyable, knock yourself out, but I think it’s a fallacy that the only[/b] way you can kill a mature buck is to invest hordes of time, energy and money. I think that gives a false sense of futility to guys who don’t have the opportunity to devote all their time to the pursuit of a mature buck.
Evaluate your areas, account for the time/resources you have to spend and then make the decision of your threshold of what kind of buck you hope to shoot. Don’t wait on a 160, if nothing over 130 has ever graced your woods. But also don’t be afraid to go buckless trying for a high end buck for your area.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

When did hunting become a job?? About 15 years ago, when workaholic yuppies got boredwith flyfishing, thendiscovered bowhunting and brought their high salaries, snooty dispositionsand their corporate one-upmanshipgarbage into the sport.

Whoa! Did I say that?!? [8D]

Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

When did hunting become a job?? About 15 years ago, when workaholic yuppies got boredwith flyfishing, thendiscovered bowhunting and brought their high salaries, snooty dispositionsand their corporate one-upmanshipgarbage into the sport.

Wow, that is what I was just thinking before I read this. I didn't think it started until about 10 years ago though.

If you let yourself get wrapped up in it you find yourself turning the hunting experience into a highschool popularity contest when you have to have the cool camo, the best bow, and the biggest buck to be with the cool kids. Now I like to tinker with my gear, but I'm not going to buy something becuase so-and-so on some board said I should. And I guess if you have to have the coolest gear and biggest bucks to be a cool kid I'm a dork, because I just want to hunt and enjoy myself as much as I can. Hopefully, I'll take a nice buck or two in the process.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just do it to have fun. And I do have fun. In fact since my little girl and I have been hunting together, I don't even carry a gun or bow. I just leave it up to her. I get more kick out of the giggles when she succeeds than I ever got out of hunting.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

i do it for enjoyment but i dont shoot small bucks because small racks dont satisfy me. i only like to shoot it if i will mount it. i work really hard and put my stands in good places because i want to get where the bucks are.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: Arthur P

/quote]

The snootyer they are the more sh!! I give-um! They hate that. It's a good reason to support more golf courses (to keep them out of the woods) but unfortunately each new course robs us of good habitat.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing that I've always loved about my approach to bowhunting is that there's absolutely no pressure. I pretty much hunt the same areas year to year so I know going into the season where I want to place my stand. Now when the season starts and if there aren't any deer moving in the area that I'm in I know where to move my stand to. Not only that but the only people that I'm trying to impress withthe deer that I kill are my wife and son and they're easy to impress.

Quick Reply: When did hunting become a job??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.