Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quiet my bow...

Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default quiet my bow...

ok guys..i been thinking and thinking since the season. as most of you know i had a buck duck my arrow and take it really high and never found him..that kills me. GRANTED...i shot at a semi alert deer...i never knew that rule before that...he was only 18-20yds away. the second i stopped him the arrow was gone. no joke i was in kill mode and knew stop him and drop him...he was running behind a couple does..i stopped him perfect in my lane and the second he froze the arrow was gone. never in my life did i think a deer would seriously jump or duck the string...i thought it was nonsense..but i watched him do it as my lighted knock told me my arrow was flying perfect just above the heart.

so i been thinking....i dont think my bow is LOUD...but ive never fired another bow. compared to my buddies old bow my bow is quiet. but over the course of the summer, besides shooting im doing a bow make over anyways....

so lets make my bow quiet.

i shoot with alpha shox on the limbs

im already moving to a heavier arrow..for noise purposes and to gain KE.

i just got a new 10" doinker stabilizer(migh add an A bomb between the stab and the riser...cant hurt?

i shoot with super leeches on the string, but want switch to Fuse String Shox.

what else out there WORKS in terms of quieting the shot??

do the cable rod dampner work like Sims makes on and Bow Jax etc that go on the cable rod....?

any other recomendations?? maybe im over doing it...i dont know...figured it cant hurt...but dont wanna blow 20 or 30$ here and there to find out they were useless. so far the doinker helped noticably.

im shooting a 06 reflex highlander..if that makes a diffrence...

thanx guys let me know what you have to say...im new to the archery game...i just want a hunt ready bow...i do more target shooting than alot of bowhunters...but its all backyard..maybe a little 3d this summer but im a hunter..period.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: quiet my bow...

Mauser,
There's a lot I don't know, but if you look at some of the threads I've got going, I'm having to switch arrows. I've used some of the calculators, and switching to a heavier arrow will definitely quiet the bow, but you probably won't gain any KE. I'm shooting 400 grains at 299.8 fps. That's 79.96 foot pounds of KE. If I switch to 485 grain arrows, I drop to 271 fps, and thatequates to 79.11 foot pounds of KE. Definitely no gain, but from what guys are saying, much more quiet and forgiving.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

i shoot with super leeches on the string, but want switch to Fuse String Shox.
Mistake. (Just stay with the SIMS Crossbow style leeches, 2 sets if you don't care about losing a couple fps, but IMO the SIMS stuff is far superior to those fuse silencers.)
Make sure you have everything that can clank , scrape, bang or vibrate tightened and loctited and moleskin everything of contact. ESPECIALLY the rest launcher.

Avoid plastic accessories.

Make sure it's TUNED. A well tuned bow is "always" quieter, and make sure your string and cables are in good shape.

The heavier arrow will help ALOT.

An STS type device like a MeanV CSS can remove any excess vibration that is causing noise, but it has the potential to add a new "different" noise with a slight pop. I think the good outweighs the bad on this one and makes my Guardian which was already the quietest bow I've shot jaw droppingly quiet and vibration free. [:-]I hear it on some bows but not on others.......I don't hear ANYTHING on my Guardian with it.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

LIMBSAVERS
help queit itA LOTand take a lot of shock away too
Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can add is an STS or similar device. Limbsavers work, I don;t know how the alpha shox do.
I doubt you have it but the rubber tube peep makes a ton of noise.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.

littlechief...i ran the numbers...if im shooting around 450-475grs ill be at my optimal KE carrying the most speed...right now im at like 370ish grs at 260fps. i forget my new speed..220-240fps...i dont care...i hunt. i rather have more KE...a lighter arrow will also LOOSE its momentum and KE quick than that of a heavier arrow.......

matt....who would hunt with a bow that isnt tuned?!??! and isnt the FUSE line MADE by simms???! same material...diffrent design..i heard alot of people praising their 07 line of shox. maybe ill test them both once i get my bucknasty string...

the alpha shox are said to do their job...i dont know i took mine off once but didnt shoot with them off. they definently got more material than a typical limb saver...and the video looks impressive(then again i could make a dog turd look appatizing to eat if i wanted to make money)

i been pondering a meanV CSS....but i dont think he makes them for a front mount stab hole....does he?? i hear his are WAY better than STS..so i want his...lol
Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a guardian [8D]

Haha, no. But i agree with what Matt said...the SIMS stuff is great
Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Three things I can suggest without regret, limb savers for one. They don't always make a bow quieter, but they usually change the way it feels in your hand at the shot. And for string silencers I have not found anything better than yarn puff balls or beaver balls. They just flat out work and they work forever! String leaches work, but like every other rubber silencer you can hear this whipping sound when you shoot the bow. And they are expensive and wear out. And the STS type devices are decent, but you can always hear the string hit the rubber. I don't know that I would call them more quiet as much I would say it is a different sound.

The PSE NV system by limb saver works pretty darn well too, for both noise and hand shock.

Paul
Old 04-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

im in college! im lucky i got a highlander!! one day ill get me a top of the shelf bow....but the highlander is a great bow. actually...its only great coz its in MY hands we all know its the shooter that makes the bow i actually plan to have the highlander for a long while...i plan to do a make over this summer if i get a good paying job...starting with nessecary items..string and arrows for sure...then rest..then sights if i get a good job...but its a great bow..i like it. for the money it cant be beat. i think Reflex screwed up by only making them for a couple of months...

i dont even personally know anyone with a high end bow to compare mine to...one day ill run into someone with a top of the line bow...and shoot beside them and prove mine isnt loud and im just crazy...lol....

im going to contact meanv now...i could sworn he posted here but i cant find him...waiting for me AT email..
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya man...im a college student too! I bet your bow isnt nearly as loud as you make it out to be!

Quick Reply: quiet my bow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.