Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
76.84%
No
23.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Poll......Mature deer where you hunt?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poll......Mature deer where you hunt?

burblaust99's response would be accurate for my home area.If you kill a 3.5 year old buck you have really accomplished something.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys (and ladies):

I think some "might" be missing the point. While I agree (wholeheartedly) that they're not behind every tree.....are there really 10 (so far) people who believe that they don't EXIST in their hunting areas?

Rob/PA shared a story with me while we were discussing this, recently. While he ws in KS.....there was a deer that had recently been hit by an automobile that went 200". THAt deer was seen by a hunter that needed the deer to take one more step ......to be able to take him. He didn't....and he walked. The thing is......the people there talk constantly about deer......and the aforementioned hunter was the ONLY person to lay eyes on this deer (before the driver of the automobile did).

It's "MY" opinion.......but "I" think they're in ALL our woods. The fact that they're seldom seen......only means they're good at what they do.....which is ELUDE US.

I just happen to believe they're there. I've got trail cam photos of mature deer that I've NEVER laid eyes on.

We've also got to think about "travelers". Just because a mature deer doesn't reside in your area......that has little to do with whether or not he uses your haunts as a breeding ground.

I might ruffle a few feathers......but I'm of the opinion these deer are there.....or they're there on a limited, temporary basis. The 2.5 yr olds and younger deer (I don't THINK) aren't doing ALL of the breeding. I don't think the older guys would stand for it.

But.....that's just MY opinion.

Thanks for playing!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:09 PM

GMMAT,
I agree 110% with that opinion.
The mature deer are there, we find their sign more than we might see them. It is probably true that some area's don't hold a mature buck , but those area's probably don't hold doe's either.
A mature buck didn't get mature by showing himself and not being aware of your whereabouts.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep....
Old 04-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I agree there are probably more mature bucks than people think, I still don't think they are EVERYWHERE. Pa had gone years and years slaughtering such a hi percentage of 1.5 old bucks, it was a true miracle that a buck made it to 3.5+ yrs of age. To say that there were Mature bucks in ALL the woods would be a joke.
Besides what if you had a section of woods that really wasn't condusive for holding mature bucks. There was not enough cover or too much pressure for them, they aren't going to hang out there at all even though they may be "around".
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

While I agree there are probably more mature bucks than people think, I still don't think they are EVERYWHERE. Pa had gone years and years slaughtering such a hi percentage of 1.5 old bucks, it was a true miracle that a buck made it to 3.5+ yrs of age. To say that there were Mature bucks in ALL the woods would be a joke.
Besides what if you had a section of woods that really wasn't condusive for holding mature bucks. There was not enough cover or too much pressure for them, they aren't going to hang out there at all even though they may be "around".

Intelligence is such a great thing.

Well said Rybo
Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I will agree, but I also believe some guys would be shocked to find out what is lurking in their woods.

In pressured areas like Rybo and Atlas hunt they are 100% nocturnel I would guess.

I contend in some of these area's you get the doe to buck ratio closer together these deer will have to fight for their love They may have to show them selves.

In MIwe call them Ghost bucks, the deer I shot no one had seen in our area. My dad lives on the farm, my Neighbor has a great view also. The old 5 point my neighbor shot I had never seen either.

Rybo is 100% correct there has to be a place for them to hide, if they feel pressure they are not going to be around.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I will agree, but I also believe some guys would be shocked to find out what is lurking in their woods.
Sometimes checking my trail cams IM suprised to find whats lurking!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I see em every season,and get lucky about every other year, and score on one. This year was not ment to be but i did see three bruisers, and had two close calls with the biggest one.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:03 PM

I hunt in a few thousand acres of highly pressured public land. Are the mature deer there, ya, there are some. But the problem by me is the "It's Brown, it's Down" philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not picky either, but it is hard to find mature deer because of that. I've started going off of the beaten path and started hunting these small patches that everyone overlooks, and what do ya know, I found signs of Mature deer. So they're there, hard to find, hard to kill, but they're still there. Just have to find their hideout.

Quick Reply: Poll......Mature deer where you hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.