Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do string leaches make any difference?

Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do string leaches make any difference?

Im thinking of getting some string leaches put on my bow, but before I do I want to know if anyone uses them and how well they work in terms of noise and vibration reduction? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do string leaches make any difference?

Sure they make a difference...is it worth the loss of a few fps? Thats for you to decide.

I shoot a bowtech and they come with a type of string leach on them...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

FPS? Hell...speed is the very least of my concerns. Im not one of those speed-happy guys. Id much rather have a quiet bow. So yes, its definetly worth the few FPS, probably which i cant tell a difference anyways. BowJax makes some string leach type silencers that look pretty good also. Maybe ill look into those too.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

they can make a diffrence....how much? who knows....

and michaelhunsucker is btoh right and wrong...you MAY loose a few fps...but you might GAIN a few fps. someone here lost something like 8-10fps by taking OFF string silencers...depends on placement and the set up...

im like you...id throw a couple fps out the window to quiet my bow and remove vibrations....
Old 04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

you MAY loose a few fps...
Wow, thats interesting. I had never heard of that, but it does make sense

I also would gladly lose a few fps in exchange for some silence!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i cant recall who it was...maybe they will reply here if they see this...i believe it...they say you loose more from weight in the center of the string than towards the limbs....not sure why that is. to me id think extra weight in the middle would give you a hair more speed...i dont know...crazy stuff...but it depends on your setup and all that good stuff...

you ever see them "speed balls" or something they sale claiming to give you more speed?? kinda the same concept....gotta tinker and find the sweet spot and the right number of them on your bow and they COULD potentally add speed.

i heard Reflex adds weight to the string to add speed. forget who said that too....lol. but i looked at mine and sure enough its on the bottom of the string near the bottom cam. the person said they are pretty much brass knocks wrapped in plastic shrink wrap. when i get a new string i wanna disect it and take pics....

Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well your real credible aren't ya! [8D]

I pretty sure my '06 Tribute has these "weights" your talking about on the string...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06
...they say you loose more from weight in the center of the string than towards the limbs....not sure why that is.

you ever see them "speed balls" or something they sale claiming to give you more speed?? kinda the same concept....gotta tinker and find the sweet spot and the right number of them on your bow and they COULD potentally add speed.

the person said they are pretty much brass knocks wrapped in plastic shrink wrap. when i get a new string i wanna disect it and take pics....
I think it was TFOX who said it. but I'm not 100% sure either. But it is true. I put leeches as close to the cam as I can.

I put VT strings on my Black Ice and shot it w/o the nock on the bottom and then put one on the string and shot it. It added 3 fps.
It it a bigger size brass nock w/ shrink tube over it.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't remember ever saying it but it is true that weight toward the center of the string will cost you speed and weight out at the end MAY increase speed.

I have never seen a gain with leeches.

I have seen speed balls or nocks with shrink wrap around them gain a few fps. when installed out toward the ends of the string.No more than 5 fps though.

There isn't an archer alive that can tell the difference in 5 fps.Maybe at 80 yards when sighted in for a lighter arrow.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it was mobow who said that about his Vectrix, he lost speed removing the leeches.

Quick Reply: Do string leaches make any difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.