Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Injury Prevention-FMJ

Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Injury Prevention-FMJ

I have seen two threads recentlyinvolving a carbon arrow exploding and injuring the bow hand. I am not familiar with the FMJ or similararrows but would the chances of this happening be reduced by using these arrows?? I know to flex my arrows after pulling and have been trying to get into that habit but as painful as those injurys look it makes me want to wear armour on my bow hand.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Injury Prevention-FMJ

Thats a good question, i dont know a whole lot about the FMJ arrows. All i know is that i wouldnt want one shooting through my hand!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

since FMJ arrows are alumanum wrapped around a carbon core i dont think you have much to worry about when shooting them. even if the carbon is broken on the inside the alumanum shell should be thick enough to hold it back....i dont know...

those pics scare us all. but most of the time its most likely not the arrows or the bows fault. the shooter hit it with another arrow or pulled it out and broke fibers etc. ive hit a couple arrows with broadheads...without knowing i had to hit them and without checking them i may never found the scratches on some of the really close calls. what i learned? dont shoot groups...pull the arrow straight out...and inspect them...as i walk 25 or 35 yds i certainly have time to check 3-5 arrows...no reason not to. im getting ready to buy new arrows....im pretty sure im going with carbons again. i cant see spending the money on FMJs ACCs or AC slims to have alumanum in them that can and will bend leaving you with a useless 10+$ arrow...thats just me...ive got a couple thousand shots on cheap carbons and i have no problems with them...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got a couple thousand shots on cheap carbons and i have no problems with them...
[/quote]

my thoguts exactly
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06
ive got a couple thousand shots on cheap carbons and i have no problems with them...
i hope this time it worked
i am not gonna pay $100+ for 12 arrows when i can buy 2 dozen cheaper arrows for the same price
Old 04-12-2007, 03:59 AM

any arrom can break if it is damaged
Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mauser06

those pics scare us all. but most of the time its most likely not the arrows or the bows fault. the shooter hit it with another arrow or pulled it out and broke fibers etc. ive hit a couple arrows with broadheads...without knowing i had to hit them and without checking them i may never found the scratches on some of the really close calls. what i learned? dont shoot groups...pull the arrow straight out...and inspect them...as i walk 25 or 35 yds i certainly have time to check 3-5 arrows...no reason not to. im getting ready to buy new arrows....im pretty sure im going with carbons again. i cant see spending the money on FMJs ACCs or AC slims to have alumanum in them that can and will bend leaving you with a useless 10+$ arrow...thats just me...ive got a couple thousand shots on cheap carbons and i have no problems with them...
Those photos scared me as well...Just a thought on this because I know stuff happens, but wouldn't it be a good idea to wear a good thick pair of gloves on your bow hand? Just a thought.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The glove would have to be very thick leather andyou would loose feel with the bow. Plus, I wouldn't want to have a heavy glove on in the middle ofsummer. Inspect your arrows.

Bullet where are you finding 2 doz carbons for $100?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those photos scared me as well...Just a thought on this because I know stuff happens, but wouldn't it be a good idea to wear a good thick pair of gloves on your bow hand? Just a thought.
You would think somebody would invent some sort of safetyprotectorto prevent this. Maybe something out of kevlar which would be made to deflect the arrow off the hand. I don't believe it would have to be a full glove, but it could be incorporated into a glove. Some gloves are fine for shooting. Personally, I wear silk glove liners sometimes wile shooting. They are nice and slick, and the bow easily goes into position.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Personal opinion as I have no technical data to back this up but.....I do feel safer using ACC's or my A/C Superslims. Why? Because in the event I do not find a crack, split, etc. initially, if their is one in the carbon outer shell, I feel safer shooting them. On another note: though they(ACCs and A/C Superslims) are expensive, so are some of the top end carbons manufactured these days. I have also found that my A/C Superslims are much tougher than some give aluminum/carbon arrows credit for. I have made a shot or two with mine[:-] that would have shattered most any carbons....and they remained as straight as they were when I bought them.

Again, just in case I don't find a hairline crack if there is one, I do feel safer shooting the aluminum/carbon. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Injury Prevention-FMJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.