Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

camera flash!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default camera flash!

I hung a trail camera on a tree and watched from a distance and about a half hour later several deer aproached where I had the camera before they got to the camera's field of view they were more concerned with thecamerabeing there then when it flashed as they came closer, when it flashed they could care less 5 minutes later it flashed again and they still din't care.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: camera flash!

I've seen both sides of the coin. I have pictures of deer that seem curious and pose for the camera and then I have pictures of deer turning inside out to flee...!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

does anyone have any inside on hanging cameras maybe turn the flash off and hope for a daytime picture when trying to pattern a big buck or chance the flash?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know about whitetails, but I have learned to keep the flash off when I have my cams set up for bear. It just t's them off and they beat up my camera.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

This isa huge debate that will probably never be decided. Do deer always spook from the flash? NO, but they dont always tolerate it. There are a lot of infared cameras out there now-a-days if you are worried about them spooking. I have used one with a flash and have had no trouble with it spooking deer. I do however mainly use my camera in the summer and there is a big pile of corn under it!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

If you are a trophy hunter, trail cameras can put you in the driver's seat, but must be used logically. I attended a semiinar on this very concept and the man speaking said that the flash does not spook all deer, but will spook BIG mature bucks off of that particular area. Most mature bucks aren't quick to abandon their home ground, but will find alternate routes around the camera site. I use cameras frequently and have only connected on one of the bucks that i have pics of so far. The speaker at the seminar suggested elevating the camera and pointing it downward on the trail, you may have heard of this idea recently, he said that he has had more repeat pics of BIG bucks since he started doin' it. I am going to try it this summer and early fall and see what happens, why not? Good luck!!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took both of these bucks this year after gettin pictures of them in the summer. The flash didnt bother them most of the time and certainly didnt run them out of the area. Not saying that it wont happen, but im not to worried about it.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen both the not care and shock pics. I have had repeat pics. of BIG bucks. I think you most likely change therearea by checking the camera and leaving your scent...... Just a thought. You sure do get some monsters at night!!! If you want to know whats out there, you want pics. in the dark
Old 04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a 130"erabout a month ago stare at the camera from the side very nerviously (spelling) for ever, and when he finnaly walked in front of it. itflashed and scared the bajesus out of him. It was a slow trigger cam and i only got a pic of his rump[]
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 AM

i think it makes them curious

Quick Reply: camera flash!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.