Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ONE MORE PIECE OF GEAR

Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ONE MORE PIECE OF GEAR

David, thats weird because most rangefinders seem to work very well in the dark, well at least the ones I have played with. What I have found that stops a rangefinder is heavy fog, heavy rain, and worst of all any kind of snow. It can be snowing light and they don't work worth beans. It makes since because the the laser reflects off the falling snow and gives you a false reading or no reading at all.

LittleChief, I myself have 3 rangefinders. One beinga 10 year old bushnell400,its big andheavy and only works out to 300 yards at best. I think thats because the the glass is a bit scrached but I don't know for sure. Its still dead on accurate, but I just can't get a reading over 300 yards not matter what I do. If you look on ebay youcan pick these upbetween $40-80. If youbowhunt mostly in a tree stand or ground blind and don't have to walk far, then this rangefinder would stillworkgood.Second Ihave a newer bushnell Trophy 800, and it will go to 800 yards in the mountains but it has to mounted on a tripod to get areading over 650 yards. When standing up I can get readings out to 500 yards with ease, but to go further I have to sit down with myarms on my knees holding it with both hands or put it on a tripod. Don't know why that is but it will not read at longer distances unless its stable and not moving at all. This is what I carry for bowhunting and I don't mind lending it out either. The Trophy isa cheapermodle ($200) with a 6 power optics, but it will outrange the Scout and a few other bushnell modles.The only downside is its not as compact as the newest ones comming on the market today. Mythird rangefinder is the new Leica 1200 (new last summer)andI have nothing but good to sayabout it!I onlyuse it for riflehuntingbut it goes out to 1200 yards with ease. In the mountains I get readings out to 1300 yards, in addition to being accurate its also the smallest/compactwith the best optics out of the three. Of course for bowhunting its not needed, and I think you don't need to spend more than $250 to get good quality. On the other hand if you like to know how far away things are out to 1000 yards or soand if you do any rifle hunting, then the Leica is not a bad option, other thanthe cost.Between my two brothers they have the Bushnell Scout, and the Leupold RXll. Being honest I realy do like the Scout, but the Leupold is like looking at a computer screen. For my brother who is used to a lot of computer/videogamesthen its comes second hand, but to me its complicated and confusing. At the moment of truth I want simple and easy, I don't need to worry about running a computer/rangefinder.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Default RE: ONE MORE PIECE OF GEAR

id go with the cheaper range finder like mine 250 bucks. bushnell scout it is small, very accurate, and gets the job done for both bow and rifle. this leaves you 250 more for arrows and such just like you said. id vote this route, no matter which ranger you pick up.