Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Not required in my state - have taken
22.92%
Not required in my state - have not taken
27.08%
Not taken - I am planning to
6.25%
Not taken - I am not planning to
8.33%
Should be required
25.00%
Should not be required
10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunter education class

Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunter education class

Being new to bowhunting I am trying to learn as much about itas possible before going into the woods this fall. My state does not require bowhunter education class but I will be taking it this summer. We can do part of it online, which I have done, and the other part, half-day, at locations throughout the state. I think it is a very good thing and should be required.

I have allowed multiple selections so that you can answer all that apply.

This came to mind in another thread when they were talking about whether there should be amandatory arrow weight or more education.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunter education class

I believe it should be required. There is a lot of good solid information taught in it. Unfortunately, there are quite a few people that believe the information taught does not apply to them for various reasons.

Below is a decent link if you are interested:

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/course/table_of_contents.htm
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is the online course you can take before the half-day course. Not all states allow you to take the online course but mine (MD) does.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

So far.....I'm the lone person that answered that it isn't required in my state....but I've taken it.

Itook it for a number of reasons.....but the top 2 are:

1- I thought I might learn something.....which I did.
2- I "think" it may be a requirement in some states to get a license......and I plan on hunting a few states in my lifetime.

I'd recommend it.....if any of this applies to you.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM

Bruce its wasnt required in my state ,but i ended up taking the class because if you want to bow hunt most states require that you take a bowhunters saftey course even thou you been hunting in your own state for years,

I found the classes to be educational and helpfull you can always learn somthing new, plus the classes were for free ,you also got to meet alot of diffrent people. ifeel sooner or later its going to be required for every state, just like there clamping down the gun laws [:-]
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is the online course you can take before the half-day course. Not all states allow you to take the online course but mine (MD) does.
I basically posted it just as an FYI because of this sentence.

Being new to bowhunting I am trying to learn as much about itas possible before going into the woods this fall.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

2- I "think" it may be a requirement in some states to get a license......and I plan on hunting a few states in my lifetime.
This is from the website that BobCo19-65posted the link to.

Successful completion of a recognized bowhunter education course is required by many states, provinces, or in special designated bowhunting areas such as some federal lands or urban bowhunting areas.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not required in my state, but should be just like a HS card.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Not required where I live now, butit is offered, but is required where I'm moving, NY. I've been an IBEF instructor for about 10 years. I'm retiring from it I think unless I find a group that needs some help. There's a rod and gun club in Camden, NYthat has some ranges. I'm probably going to join and if they want some help I'll gladly do it. They're a pretty active group.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

you have to take it here in NY

Quick Reply: Bowhunter education class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.